mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Hayes HFX-9 with Shimano Center Lock Disk

I'm curently building a Rocky Mountain Flow, I'll be using Mavic 729 rims with Shimano Saint Hub with center lock disk brake, my question can or anyone have use the HFX-9 brake system with those type of disk. I ask one guy at the bike shop but said it had to be tried.

If anyone has any hint please let me know.

Thank You

ride hard take risks
    I belive it will work fine, may have to shim a little. XSL_WiLL comes through here alot & i belive he has done this beffor.

Meh.
    Shimano rotors have a narrower braking path (blade) than Hayes rotors. The Hayes pads are much wider than the Shimano rotors. SOOOOO. Not all of the pads will make contact with the rotor, and part of the pad will contact the arms of the rotor. This will lead to stuttering, all sorts of noises, and uneven pad wear. In addition, since less pad is making contact, that means less friction is being generated, this means that you aren't getting the full performance out of your brakes. I strongly suggest that you don't mix and match, but if you want, you can bevel the edges of the pads and shim it up just a little bit so that the pads don't touch the arms of the rotor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! DT Swiss adapters

My experience with Hayes brakes and Shimano rotors is that since the braking track on the Shimano rotors is very narrow- too much of the rotor arm goes through the Hayes caliper and makes for a brake that pulsates very badly.

My hardtail has Hayes brakes and centerlock hubs- I just picked up couple of the DT Swiss adapters that allow you to use the Hayes rotors on the centerlock hubs- they are a bit pricey at about $30 each- but they work very well.
    I bike; therefore, I work

Meh.
    You can't use the DT Swiss adapters with the Saint centerlocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You can't use the DT Swiss adapters with the Saint centerlocks.
    Don't tell me- Shimano has two flavors of centerlock just like they did octalink.
    I bike; therefore, I work

Meh.
    Yup, regular and oversized.

Members who have read this thread: 0