mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hayes HFX 9 Carbon vs. Forumla K24

Hi,

Looking for something to replace my Hope Mini's which I'm not a fan of. I've ran hayes in the past specifically the HFX 9 HD so to an extent know what I'm getting into if I were to purchase the Hayes 9 Carbons this time around. However do to weight and just features the Forumla K24's look promising. Does anyone have a preferance between the two? A concern I have with Forumla is getting replacement parts, but if people think its a solid enough system that I shouldn't be worried I'm game for giving it a go. Thanks to all in advance.

Fear is where we go to Learn
    Marek

banned
    Sep 2005
    Formula 100%

Parts aren't that hard to find, since they are ordered from QBP, and they are excellent brakes right out of the box. I'm not at ALL a fan of the HFX 9 brakes. Not one bit.

From my impression (don't have a lot of rides on my K24s yet), they are pretty well comparable to the Juicy 7's I had on there before, just a hell of a lot lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the imput. I guess I would be curious to know what about the hayes didn't work for yea. Peace

banned
    Sep 2005
    The HFX just didn't have the modulation the K24s do IMO. They also don't have the gross stopping power of the K24s.

One thing I liked (coming from J7's directly prior to these) was the FCS system. I like the red dial on the J7s to adjust the pad contact point, and fine tune the lever to what feels good. These are very similar to that, and that was a big necessity (for me anyway).

Overall, the feel of the K24s is a lot more refined than the HFX 9s, at least to my hands. Some others may beg to differ.

Meh.
    HFX 9s are horrible. Atleast go for the Mag over the Nines. Very little modulation. And I had nothing but problems with them. My Mags were significantly improved. J7s are even better. Formula actually designed the J7s. Formula makes great brakes. I strongly recommend them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That is interesting to hear that Formula designed the J7's. Is Avid a subsidiary of Formula, or how did the designs get acquired?

Members who have read this thread: 0