Hayes breaks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hayes breaks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Hayes breaks

I'm brand new to disc brakes. my front wheel is rubbing during the entire revolution. How do you adjust the front left pad?

Meh.
    What brakes are they? That determines how it will need to be adjusted.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    What he means is; if they are Avid bb7s or bbdbs you can adjust the left and right pads independently, but beyond that, if you are running any kind of post mounted caliper you should try to align the brake by means of the fixing bolts through the sliding holes of the caliper first. (*always make sure your wheel is in straight before messing with alignment & single piston brakes like Hayes' sole or most mechanicals should be aligned with a bias towards the inside pad)

Loosen the two bolts a few turns - allowing the caliper to slide a few MMs each way, depress the lever blade, hold tight whilst slowly turing each caliper fixing bolt until they are snug, release the lever.....

That usually works, but sometimes you may need some shims between each side of the rotor and the pads. Thin cardboard, business cards, playing cards, etc...all work well for this. Slide the shims in both sides and repeat the previous process.

Oh, and if you have IS mount calipers (many Magura & Shimano), well, thats a whole other ballgame, aligning those is an artform. Have our mechanic do those, and tip him some beer! If they can face the tabs get that done too.

Thats brakes for ya...
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Meh.
    He says he has Hayes. However with the So1e or the mechanical brakes, the inboard pad can be adjusted via a 4 or 5mm allen wrench. The So1e's outboard pad can also be adjusted with an allen wrench. On the cable brakes, the position of the outboard pad can be adjusted by cable tension.

Post mount calipers can slide side to side. With hydro brakes, he should probably reset the pistons.

Make sure the wheel is all the way in the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

hayes brakes 2

the brakes are Hayes MX4 Mechanical, when i place the tire in and tightened it in place it doesnt rub, but when I latch it in it still rubs dring the entire revolution because the inside pad pushes in.

"Carpe Diem"
    Quote Originally Posted by flit13
    the brakes are Hayes MX4 Mechanical, when i place the tire in and tightened it in place it doesnt rub, but when I latch it in it still rubs dring the entire revolution because the inside pad pushes in.
    I had same problem on mine mx4. You should just loose cable tension a bit and that should be it. By changing cable tension you adjust one pad and the other is adjusted easily by wrench.

peace

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

still slow

do you change the cable tension on the brake itself by loosening the screw connected to the cable.

Meh.
    Take it to the shop.

Changing the cable tension will do nothing if the rotor isn't rubbing on the dynamic (outboard, furthest away from the hub) pad. If it's rubbing on the "inside" pad like you said, you adjust that pad position with the allen on the back of the caliper (facing the spokes).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    its not the side that is facing the spokes, it is the side with the cable

"Carpe Diem"
    Quote Originally Posted by flit13
    its not the side that is facing the spokes, it is the side with the cable
    Then cable tension adjustment will do the thing

Members who have read this thread: 0