Hayes brakes on Mach 5 - Horribly noisy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Hayes brakes on Mach 5 - Horribly noisy

So my girlfriend Mandy got her first custom high end bike - a Pivot Mach 5, and she loves everything about the bike, except the brakes.

She got the SLX component package, which includes the Hayes disc brakes. What's up with these brakes?

They are incredibly noisy. Not just a high pitch squeel, but an ugly, squeeky, hard to describe kind of noise. You know, the kind that makes your multi thousand dollar bike sound like a joke from wallmart.

What gives?

I have XT brakes on my Ventana X5 which have been silent from day one. They never make any noise, and never call any attention to themselves.

So is there anything that can be done with these Hayes brakes to silence them???

Short of replacing them with a set of XTs???

ride hard take risks
    Are they set up properly??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes.

They were set up by Joe at Big Ring Cyclery in San Diego.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    But what specifically do you mean by "set up properly"???

I can certainly check it out or look into it directly if you could be more specific.

Thanks..................

ride hard take risks
    Check this video the info for set up is at the end.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415647

Their are also a couple post about centering calipers floating around.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=565754

Check that the wheels are seated in the drop outs properly if they are slightly cocked you will get strange effects.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    OK - Round #2

Still disappointed. I removed the wheels, removed the calipers, and removed the pads. I cleaned the rotors, calipers and pads with alcohol. I even slightly sanded the pads to get any possible glaze off. (The bike is brand new with one ride under it's belt - doubt there is any glaze).

When installing the wheels, I made sure the rear was centered in the drops, I put weight on it, and then tightened the QR. The front has the new 15mm QR, but I still did the same thing - put weight on it, and then tightened the QR.

I realigned the calipers, tightened everythng down, and then took it outside for a test.

Did it make a difference??? - Yes.

Is it any better??? - No.

So now they do not make any noise when you first get on the brakes. And gone is the wierd howling, grinding noise. But when I grab the brakes at 15mph, they are silent, but right before I am about to stop, they both let out a high pitched squeel!

So all the work I did did make a difference, but it only changed the type of noise that I hear, and when I hear it.

So it's back to the drawing board. These are the Hayes Stroker Trail white brakes. I've read a lot of bad things about them. So I don't have a lot of confidence that I will be able to fix this issue!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Havin the same issue. Iv got 2 ride on mine, on the pavement and they were quiet. Not they are looouuudddd. They stop good but damn they cause some serious attention. I read that a different pad can help the problem but not sure.

I know some of you have had good CS with hayes even the probs havent been solved. How do i contact hays and who do i talk to?

ride hard take risks
    I have heard allot of really bad things about every brake on the market, heck look at the Juicy thread. I have owned and worked with Juicys and never had those problems either. Must be something im doing wrong.
    Formotion Products

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockohaulic
    OK - Round #2 Still disappointed.
    Have you contacted Pivot about this??
    Formotion Products

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel
    I know some of you have had good CS with hayes even the probs havent been solved. How do i contact hays and who do i talk to?
    They can be found right here http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/contact.shtml
    Formotion Products

aka bOb
    Hayes sent me a different type of pads, took care of the problem.
    Last edited by bdundee; 11-26-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Meh.
    Have you given the brakes time to bed pad material into the rotors yet? It may quiet down after a few dozen break-in stops. Build some heat into the rotors, go fast, get on the brakes hard without locking up, build up speed again, etc.

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    I have heard allot of really bad things about every brake on the market, heck look at the Juicy thread. I have owned and worked with Juicys and never had those problems either. Must be something im doing wrong.
    Yet we don't see many threads about Shimano XTR, XT, LX or Formula.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Meh.
    Partially because there are less bikes out there equipped with Shimano or Formula.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Yet we don't see many threads about Shimano XTR, XT, LX or Formula.
    Start searching they may not be in one like the J but they are their in some form.
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    Yes, there actually are a number of threads about problems with Formula brakes. Sometimes they howl. The breather port is situated under the clamp. When it leaks DOT fluid it leaks onto the bars, not good for carbon bars. Other miscellaneous issues.

Shimano's seals don't like the cold. XTR has a long lever travel and power is less than impressive in anything but an XC application. Servowave levers tend to trap air and be hard to bleed.

You see almost no information at all, good or bad about Hygia, Alligator, Clarks, Tektro, Promax, etc. Does this mean that all these brands are better? No... just that there are not many units in circulation.

When you sell 100 brakes and have 10 complaints, that's 10%. Now you can sell 100000 brakes and still only have 10% complaints... but that amounts to 10000 complaints. That would seem like a lot more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Went for a ride tonight and they were super quiet and worked flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Aaaaannnnddd now its time to contact hays. They are to the point that im using the rear brake all the time lol. I like em alot, they feel awesome and stop perfectly, just super loud i the front, the rear works flawlessly. Yes it is seated in the dropouts correctly, yes i have centered the caliper correctly. The ride will start out quiet then bam!, screaming turkey sounds.

What is the other type of pad hays is sending you guys that makes it quieter?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Alright, i just cut my ride short. I didnt even make it to the trails. The guys riding wal-mart bikes to work were looking at me like "this retard cant even setup a simple disc brake". If the the turkey gobble, the chirping that sounds more like a dog being dragged behind me by a rope. Its embarrassing, im gonna mess with it some more and hope it doesnt force me to ride the damn road bike on my birthday ride tomorrow.

Just sent hayes a email, hopefully im just doing something wrong and it can be fixed easily.

ride hard take risks
    Screeching brakes is caused by vibration resonating through the brakes. Bicycle rotors are very thin which can make plenty of music. A common issue with motorcycles and cars is the pad fluttering between the caliper. It could be uneven pad contact, loose mounting hardware, uneven mount on frame or fork. situations like this are what causes many mechanics to drink, well besides its healthy, searching for the resolve on something like this is easier said than done. If you have allot of time on your hands start reading through any post related to brake noise and you will find many different fixes people have come up with.

The Hayes Semi Metallic pads are the ones you should try next.
    Formotion Products

aka bOb

+1 Hayes will probably send some to you if you explain your problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Screeching brakes is caused by vibration resonating through the brakes. Bicycle rotors are very thin which can make plenty of music. A common issue with motorcycles and cars is the pad fluttering between the caliper. It could be uneven pad contact, loose mounting hardware, uneven mount on frame or fork. situations like this are what causes many mechanics to drink, well besides its healthy, searching for the resolve on something like this is easier said than done. If you have allot of time on your hands start reading through any post related to brake noise and you will find many different fixes people have come up with.

Im a mechanic and replacing, pads rotors, calipers if needed will almost always solve any brake noise. This is all new stuff. I took the pads out and they both have very deep grooves on the inner most part of the pads. I only have a few rides on these things. Looks like someone took a flathead screwdriver and hit it with a hammer.

Also, what are some reasons a disc wont stay true? They are both a bit wobbly and i was very careful with installation and handling them. Hard braking maybe?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Maybe try a shimano rotor. They may be heavier and probably don't vibrate like the hayes. I tried some after market light weight rotors once and they squealed like a banshee. My XT's and avids were silent in comparison.

ride hard take risks
    Im a mechanic and replacing, pads rotors, calipers if needed will almost always solve any brake noise. This is all new stuff. I took the pads out and they both have very deep grooves on the inner most part of the pads. I only have a few rides on these things. Looks like someone took a flathead screwdriver and hit it with a hammer.

Also, what are some reasons a disc wont stay true? They are both a bit wobbly and i was very careful with installation and handling them. Hard braking maybe?
    Deep grove was possibly a pebble or a chunk of metal from the pad material. You can try chamfering the leading and trailing edges of the pad, sharp edges can can cause pad flutter.

6" rotors tend to stay true best 8" rotors can warp from heat as you mentioned or hitting obstacles like rocks and limbs. I have had great success with Galfer rotors unfortunately they no longer make MTB rotors.
    Formotion Products

aka bOb
    Im a mechanic and replacing, pads rotors, calipers if needed will almost always solve any brake noise. This is all new stuff.
    Then you should be able to figure out that metalic pads might make more noise then semi metalic. Hayes sent them to me for a reason and they worked.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    Maybe try a shimano rotor. They may be heavier and probably don't vibrate like the hayes. I tried some after market light weight rotors once and they squealed like a banshee. My XT's and avids were silent in comparison.
    I believe the braking band width on the shimano rotors is to narrow for Hayes. But you are correct a heavier rotor can help

Members who have read this thread: 0