Hayes are back. Dominion 4 piston released at Eurobike. - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Got the dominions bedded this morning and then rode around the house a little with my daughter. The dominions have a longer lever throw to get to max power than the saints. Thatís gonna take a little getting used to, but I like them so far. My trails at my house have one pretty steep, short hill with a turn at the bottom near a big creek, and I had no problem getting slowed down for the turn after blasting down that hill.

It seems as though, compared to the saints, thereís more lever travel to get to max braking power / wheel lock-up, but once you get to where the lever is stiff, thereís just as much, or more power on tap with the dominions. It also seems like it takes less hand/finger power to get that max braking power as well with this setup. Nose manuals on the long, heavy ebike are easier with these brakes than with the saints (my daughters think itís funny when I do them).

I think Iíll like these brakes regardless of the long lever throw as long as Iím not having to pull the lever into my fingers at the bike park and they stay quiet (noise is my biggest gripe with the saints).

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    Got the dominions bedded this morning and then rode around the house a little with my daughter. The dominions have a longer lever throw to get to max power than the saints. Thatís gonna take a little getting used to, but I like them so far. My trails at my house have one pretty steep, short hill with a turn at the bottom near a big creek, and I had no problem getting slowed down for the turn after blasting down that hill.

It seems as though, compared to the saints, thereís more lever travel to get to max braking power / wheel lock-up, but once you get to where the lever is stiff, thereís just as much, or more power on tap with the dominions. It also seems like it takes less hand/finger power to get that max braking power as well with this setup. Nose manuals on the long, heavy ebike are easier with these brakes than with the saints (my daughters think itís funny when I do them).

I think Iíll like these brakes regardless of the long lever throw as long as Iím not having to pull the lever into my fingers at the bike park and they stay quiet (noise is my biggest gripe with the saints).
    Are you sure they have been bled completely and there is no air in the system? Are your lines excessively long? Both of these can cause that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I donít have a bleed kit that works for them, so right now itís a factory bleed with a factory length hose.

Excellent! For quietude, stick with the semi-metallic pads. I found the sintered to be ok under normal conditions, but they got loud immediately after creek crossings, or when they became unusually hot. They go back to normal fairly quickly, but for me, I prefer the semi's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    That's a bleed issue. If you have an air bubble it'll make the pad retraction inconsistent and reduce the pull back.

When a brake is bled correctly the only negative of a longer hose is a slight reduction in lever firmness.

Sent from the Shockcraft mobile typewriter
    This. Just wanted to let you know, not that you sell these just based on that

Odoslanť z M1 pomocou Tapatalku

mtbr member
    It seems as though, compared to the saints, thereís more lever travel to get to max braking power / wheel lock-up, but once you get to where the lever is stiff, thereís just as much, or more power on tap with the dominions. It also seems like it takes less hand/finger power to get that max braking power as well with this setup.
    that first one is certainly what you notice right away when riding Hayes compared to Shimano, but it's simply a product of the Shimano being on/off and having a lot less modulation. the dominion does not have slack, it starts moving the piston a very little bit, with low force, early in the lever travel. what you feel is modulation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    that first one is certainly what you notice right away when riding Hayes compared to Shimano, but it's simply a product of the Shimano being on/off and having a lot less modulation. the dominion does not have slack, it starts moving the piston a very little bit, with low force, early in the lever travel. what you feel is modulation.
    Maybe so. I can see the pads moving to the rotor immediately when looking at them while pulling the lever just a tad. It just seems like the ramp up to full power takes longer than with saints. Call it modulation if you want, but at speed I don't feel anything significant happening until the lever starts getting solid.

Either way, after putting about 10 miles on the brake yesterday, I'm finding that I like them. It only took a few minutes to adjust to the new bite point and getting the stopping power that I need became something that I don't have to think about. I can say that I like the action, and the fact that it takes less force from my hands to get as much or more braking power than what the saints provide. I'm gonna stick with them, and get a set for the back wheel too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When you have the front wheel up in the air, you really feel the modulation abilities of those brakes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234