mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New question here. Hayes 9 stopping power issue

I have a set of Hayes 9's on an IronHorse Sunday that I just picked up used. I rode the bike and the brakes just seem to be underpowered. I have to pull on the levers pretty hard to get the bike to slow when going down the mountain. The brakes aren't "spongey" feeling, and don't go anywhere near the bar when pulled- more the opposite. I have to pull a short distance to contact the pads but then I have to really pull hard after that. Granted it's a heavy bike with a heavier wheelset, but with 8 inch rotors I expected more from these brakes. I threw a new set of pads on and broke them in but it didn't help. Should I invest in a bleed kit and just bleed them? Any insight would be appreciated. I've never ran hayes brakes before but have friends that swear by them. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you have friends that swear by them, consider yourself lucky Not gonna find too many people with love for Hayes, and I believe the HFX 9's are most of the reason. First up, make sure you have a good bleed(instructions can be found on the Hayes site) if that doesnt help, try different compound pads. Most of the 9s used organic pads, and they didnt have much bite(also the loud ''HONK'' when you hit the brakes) try going to a sintered metallic compound. Ive had really good luck with the ones on ebay from Bikefridge. These are way cheaper(less expensive) than stock pads, and stop great. They also have a ceramic DH compound thats almost guaranteed to put you over the bars! I've used these pads, and they do put new life in a set of 9s but if you ride the brakes alot, they do wear fast( but hey, theryre 49 bucks for 4 pairs). Almost forgot, make sure your rotors are not contaminated by cleaning them with IP alcohol. You got the bike used, so you never now what could have gotten on them. Hope this will help or at least give you some ideas. They are definitely better brakes out there now, and most can be had pretty cheap, so I wouldnt put alot of cash into the 9s but hopefully some of this gets you stoppin better.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dtc81 View Post
    I have a set of Hayes 9's on an IronHorse Sunday that I just picked up used. I rode the bike and the brakes just seem to be underpowered. I have to pull on the levers pretty hard to get the bike to slow when going down the mountain. The brakes aren't "spongey" feeling, and don't go anywhere near the bar when pulled...
    I've a set of Hayes Stroker Grams with the exact same symptoms. I wish I had a solution for you. All I can do is say that you're not alone.

Replacement is the solution for me. Eventually, I'll replace those Strokers with something from Shimano, probably the SLX model.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Your brakes do NOT need bled. That is everyone's hair trigger response to problems with hydro brakes. If you lever is firm and not squishy, then a bleed will not help.
    I'd say the new pads may not be worn in completely, or there is oil on the pads, or they are just the wrong type of material.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!