Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Hayes 9 problem

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    60

    Hayes 9 problem

    I rode down Rock-It in aliso viejo earlier today and I crashed. When I fell, It looked like my rear brake lever hit the ground but the lever is fine. However my rear brake is no longer working. This happened to me once before and my LBS had to rebleed my brake and changed the master cyclinder or something like that.

    Is this pretty common? I have a stock 05 MK III Expert which i believe came with Hayes 9 Hydraulic disc brake.

  2. #2
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Crappy brakes, get something better. My HFX 9s were riddled with problems. My Mags after that were better in durability and performance. My old-school Magura Louise FR is better than the Mags. My Juicy 7s still win hands-down.

  3. #3
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Gots to agree the Mag is much better then the cheez ball 9's.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,325

    mags better than HFX 9

    Do the pads on the Mags have more clearance from the rotors than the HFX 9s? Seems as if when my rotors are the slightest bit out of true the pads rub, which (I'm sure I'm not alone in this) drives me nuts. Furthermore, what else makes the Mags better?

  5. #5
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Do the pads on the Mags have more clearance from the rotors than the HFX 9s? Seems as if when my rotors are the slightest bit out of true the pads rub, which (I'm sure I'm not alone in this) drives me nuts. Furthermore, what else makes the Mags better?
    The master cylinder is the difference. The calipers are the same G2's. Rotate the wheel & apply the brake while the caliper is loose then carefully tighten caliper, release brake & it should center it's self. Some times you may need to use a feeler guage if it does'nt center.

  6. #6
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,431
    I think you guys are all nuts. I happen to like the Hayes 9's. I have run some different sets and always go back to the Hayes.

    I do respect your opinions though.

    Greg
    Voltron

  7. #7
    Rocket Scientist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    112
    I have the same problem, but with my front brakes. I took a fall last week got up noticed that I had lost all pressure in my front brake. My handlebar twisted 180* so I think I stretched or kinked my hose.

    I got home and bleed my brakes. No luck. Removed the hose from the lever, cut off some of the hose, reinstalled with a new fitting, and bleed it again. No luck.

    I don't have the Hayes bleed kit. I've been using a syringe to push the fluid from the caliper out the level. After I bleed it, the level either has no pressure or some pressure but the bleed plug shoots out of the level and across the garage. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've bleed the rear this way when it was squishy.

    Any ideas?

  8. #8
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMsi311
    After I bleed it, the level either has no pressure or some pressure but the bleed plug shoots out of the level and across the garage. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've bleed the rear this way when it was squishy.

    Any ideas?
    It sounds like something went bad at the master cylinder, possibly when the tever hit the ground it blew a seal out inside on the plunger. Getting enough preassure to blow the plug off means the fluid is going up the cylinder instead of down the hose. Get a rebuild kit, bleed & you should be fine.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    60
    Ok, I know i'm not suppose to fall all the time. Yes, i'm not that good at mtn biking but I fell again this morning and it did the same exact thing except that today is my front brake instead of the rear break.

    My question is. If i upgrade to Avid Juicy 7 will I still have the same problem? Cause this is the 4th or 5th time this happened and i'm getting sick of it.

  10. #10
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofmusic
    Ok, I know i'm not suppose to fall all the time. Yes, i'm not that good at mtn biking but I fell again this morning and it did the same exact thing except that today is my front brake instead of the rear break.

    My question is. If i upgrade to Avid Juicy 7 will I still have the same problem? Cause this is the 4th or 5th time this happened and i'm getting sick of it.
    Dont know what your doing on a crash, i fell hard with my HFX-Mag's this weekend & they always survive. Get the Mag masters.

    http://www.bti-usa.com/list.asp?cat=...rp=HY8501#open

  11. #11
    I dig trails!
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,535
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofmusic
    My question is. If i upgrade to Avid Juicy 7 will I still have the same problem? Cause this is the 4th or 5th time this happened and i'm getting sick of it.
    We all crash... what is important is the grace and/or style of said crash. Points added for rolling out, then up on feet with arms up in podium finish position.

    Back on topic; Are your brake clamps really tight on your handlebars? they should have some movement under pressure to allow them to twist when crashing. Hopefully differing the impact to the lever.

    Patrick

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    We all crash... what is important is the grace and/or style of said crash. Points added for rolling out, then up on feet with arms up in podium finish position.

    Back on topic; Are your brake clamps really tight on your handlebars? they should have some movement under pressure to allow them to twist when crashing. Hopefully differing the impact to the lever.

    Patrick
    They are indeed really tight. I should try loosening them a little bit.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.