Have BB5's, want to get BB7's.. need help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Have BB5's, want to get BB7's.. need help

I just bought a second hand specialized rockhopper that came with BB5's, pads are done and reading reviews on the BB5's I've read nothing good.. so I'm thinking instead of putting money into new pads and just getting frustrated in three months, why not pick up some BB7's right now which everyone seems to love and just get it over with? Maybe someone will pick up my BB5's for a few bucks locally..

These are my first disc brakes, I don't know a whole lot about it.. what exactly do I need to buy/replace for this upgrade? Just the rotors and calipers or the whole shabang? The brake levers are Avid FR-5. Whats the best place to buy them and/or whats a good price? Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by qwibbled
    I just bought a second hand specialized rockhopper that came with BB5's, pads are done and reading reviews on the BB5's I've read nothing good.. so I'm thinking instead of putting money into new pads and just getting frustrated in three months, why not pick up some BB7's right now which everyone seems to love and just get it over with? Maybe someone will pick up my BB5's for a few bucks locally..

These are my first disc brakes, I don't know a whole lot about it.. what exactly do I need to buy/replace for this upgrade? Just the rotors and calipers or the whole shabang? The brake levers are Avid FR-5. Whats the best place to buy them and/or whats a good price? Thanks!
    The BB7s come with caliper and rotor. Basically just take off the 5s and bolt on the 7s. No need to even replace the rotors
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yup...

BB5s and BB7s come with the same rotors so you can leave the ones on the bike that are there now, and save the new ones for spares. Simply tuck each one in a seperate food storage bag and store them in a dry place. You'll have em when and if you wear out your current rotors. And unless you change rotor size you won't even have to remove the current adapters. Just pull the old calipers, install the new, set them up properly and ride. Or you can sell the old rotors with the 5s (not a bad idea eiter). It's always an enhancement to the sale when the calipers come with the rotors.

As for the best place to get em, shop around! It's almost impossible to keep track of the best prices. Just check online retailers and make a list of prices. Then go with the best price. Seems there's always somebody running a special on BB7s.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    awesome thanks, a quick question about pads. there's all kinds of different brand bb7 pads on ebay, are they all the same quality or should i stick with official avid brand? organic are better for dry conditions right?

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    non branded pads can be fine. Alligator are great. Organic wear fast, Semi Metallic in the middle, Sinistered Noisey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    awesome thanks, a quick question about pads. there's all kinds of different brand bb7 pads on ebay, are they all the same quality or should i stick with official avid brand? organic are better for dry conditions right?
    BB7s come stock with Avid sintered (metalic pads). I've tried a few others, but haven't really found anything that performs dramatically better with the BB7.

Organics can be better for dry conditions. But the conditions are not always the be all and end all of pad selection. The way you ride and your braking technique weigh heavily on it too. Organics give a little better grab and are quieter, but are more prone to heat fade and wear much faster. If you brake hard often, run long down hills, ride agressively, or are a heavier rider, etc. stick with the stock metalics. Your BB5s came stock with the organic pads. Think about how long it took you to wear em out. The stock BB7 pads will likely last about twice that long, and the BB7 brake will give you a very noticeable bump up in performance without going to different pads. I'd suggest running the stock pads for a while. If you don't like them or have problems with them, then change to something different. You're call.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have had very mixed results with the Avid branded pads. Some do fine, others have worn out in 70 miles. I prefer the EBC Gold. More power, better in the wet and long life.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0