Guide RS lever adjustment knob stuck- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Guide RS lever adjustment knob stuck

Hi everyone!

I have two bikes with Guide RS brakes and out of the four knobs, two are stuck. On one bike they have been in use for a season, but for the other two could have been stuck out of the box. They didn't work on when I wanted to do the adjustment on the first ride. I managed to get one to move, but unfortunately I have no idea why it suddenly worked. The other is still completely stuck. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd really like to fix that myself and avoid the two hours of driving to have my bike shop fix it.

Daniel

President of the Internet
    The lever reach knob? Move the lever in a little bit and turn it or push the lever out and turn the knob. This loosens the cam for the nut.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    The lever reach knob? Move the lever in a little bit and turn it or push the lever out and turn the knob. This loosens the cam for the nut.
    Yep. My first "real" ride with the Guide RS was yesterday, and I had a wth? moment when I couldn't adjust one after having no problem with them turning during initial setup. After looking at my brake levers for a few seconds, the light came on, and giving the lever a wiggle allowed the knob to turn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks! It seems that I require a longer look to understand it. It worked on one of the brakes, so I will figure it out on the other too! So far, I just managed to detach the knob. It has an internal thread.

mtbr member
    Oh, the irony of my having made it sound so simple.
    Went to shorten the throw a bit, and couldn't get my levers to adjust.
    Knob won't turn on either of them, and I've tried everything short of taking a hammer to them

mtbr member
    Ok, check it out. The pdf manual has a pic of the lever with a symbol for a 2mm hex in the corner along with a counterclockwise arrow, and the illustration shows the lever moving inward.
    Translation: Insert 2mm hex/allen wrench into the open end of the knob. Turn counterclockwise to reduce lever throw, clockwise to increase.
    Why the knobs get stuck, I don't know, but the hex will turn it easily, though you may have to wiggle the lever to get it started at first. Adjusting the lever all the way in one direction apparently causes them to jam somehow

Guide RS lever adjustment knob stuck-dscn9941.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Same. Wont work by hand but just fine with tool. Still best brakes I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thank you very much, Owen!
    I have successfully un-jammed the brake lever adjustment using the hex wrench. I had to use it the other way round to get enough leverage.