Give me a brake !? V- Mtbr.com
    better than I deserve

Give me a brake !? V

After being out of the loop and riding the same old bike the last ten years +. I have embarked on a frame up build. Concerning disc brakes after reading all the hassles with set up and constant adjustments and up keep to them.Fading problems ,bleeding ,pads wearing out all the time. I am really contemplating just using V brakes with kool stop pads.I wonder if the expense and constant fiddling is really worth it for a 52 YO like me that trail bashes only occasionally.
    I mostly do XC and around town riding.

The frame demands an upgraded longer travel fork so I welcome that.
    Are disc brakes that necessary for riding that is not all steep DH or mostly cool factor?

Maybe I need to go test ride some disc bikes?

local trails rider
    Most seem to find that hydraulic disc brakes need less frequent maintenance than Vs. That is my experience anyway.

Powerwise, I could be quite happy with V brakes, except in wet and dirty conditions. Disc brakes handle water, mud and snow much better than rim brakes.

Nowadays, it may be hard to find frames and forks that can take rim brakes.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Over 2.5 years of riding i've changed fluids once, just in case, replaced one set of pads due wear, that is it.

Running Hope Tech X2's.

Like any other component, there is good and not so good disc brakes around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I recently switched from Vs to discs and to be honest, I cannot feel the difference. Perhaps it is because I mostly do my riding on dry tracks, but even in the wet with my Vs I never had a problem stopping or keeping things under control.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Modulation... think about transferring energy through fluid or a cable inside of housing. And remember with rim brakes you have to rebuild your wheels, with disk you replace rotors. Both are fussy, both take maintenance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Most seem to find that hydraulic disc brakes need less frequent maintenance than Vs. That is my experience anyway.
    This. Once you have spent the time getting the hydraulics set up properly, it is pretty much time to forget them. V brakes, on the other hand, needed constant adjustment as the pads wore, springs got dislodged, etc.

At the end of the day, it is also just familiarity. If you become as familiar with hydros as you are with Vs, then you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    it's all learning curve IMHO. If you go mech disc brakes, you probably will get some of that 'reliability' and 'easy maintenance' that you're after since they use cables, but still benefit from the near zero maintenance that you get from properly adjusted disc calipers.

That said, if you can learn to chase bubbles and properly bleed hydraulic lines, hydro disc brakes are really zero maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hydraulic disc brakes really are (or at least should be) minimal maintenance once they are setup.

With that said, I think v-brakes can be excellent. My two bikes which use them do require more tending than my hydraulic disc brakes, but only a small adjustment here or there.

T.W.O.

Powerwise, I could be quite happy with V brakes, except in wet and dirty conditions. Disc brakes handle water, mud and snow much better than rim brakes.

Nowadays, it may be hard to find frames and forks that can take rim brakes.
    Yep, This is true 100% I'm actually having a harder time setting up the V's than disc. It's also impossible to use with bigger tires my V's is having hard enough time accommodating a 2.1 kenda.

better than I deserve
    Thanks for the responses.I am thinking I may try the Avid bb7`s set up.I really don`t want to spend any more for Hydr. since I have forks, cranks,and wheels to buy.Should be a good intro to disc brakes. I have done disc on cars and motor cycles so I should have no problem setting them up.I guess you just hear more of everyone`s problems and it paints a bad picture sometimes.?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i took my discs off this year and mounted V brakes. lost a bunch of weight in the process. i don't miss the discs at all.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

Hi.
    BB7s are a good call. Easy to use, easy to set up, and they're cheap. You can always re-sell them for a decent price and get hydros, if that's necessary. OTOH, they're heavier than your average V-brake setup, but it's not an issue for most.

Not sure if you've already locked down parts, but I'm gonna go OT for a minute.

You can get a smoking deal on a set of Mavic 819/Shimano XT wheels right now for $200. The wheels are tubeless and burlier than you probably need, but it's a great wheelset for a great price overall.

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse - Mavic 819 Tubeless, XT 6bolt SALE

For forks, I recommend X-Fusion. They are hard to beat for the price. The Enix is $270 here:

X-Fusion Enix RLR 100mm Suspension Fork 1-1/8" Black - AEBike.com

better than I deserve
    I`m going to go with BB7 in the front and a V brake in the back since I have horizontal drop outs it will be easier if I get a flat.Cost less and I can spend the extra towards a shock.

I`m going to order one of these two shocks when I decide?

X-Fusion Enix RLR 100mm Suspension Fork 1-1/8" Black - AEBike.com

Rock Shox Recon Silver Suspension Fork -- Performance Exclusive - Upgrade Your Ride - Components on Sale

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have cheap hydraulic on my specialized and cheap cable discs on my mongoose both have not been touched since I bought the bikes. I would never go back.

local trails rider
    What sort of a frame do you have?
    ... and what sort of a fork is there now?

Generally, the new fork should be close to the same Axle to Crown length as the old one, taking into account fork "sag" when you are in riding position. A drastically different fork height will have a big effect on bike handling and could even put unexpected stresses on the frame.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Wanderer
    I was a hardcore V-brake person as well and finally built up a bike with hydraulic disks. I love them! the modulation alone is wonderful. My experience in problems is less overall adjustments are needed for the discs but when they do have problems they are harder to fix than the Vs.

Go hydraulic and stay away from the Avids. They tend to squeal and the pistons get stuck. I have both problems right now on mine.They still stop great at least.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    In my opinion I wouldn't mix and match brakes - 2 sets of parts which can't be interchanged, 2 different maintenance requirements and two completely different feeling brakes. I concur with Toff and would shy away from the Avids - disks yes, but poor modulation and heavy, however it would allow you to upgrade to a hydro in the future but only on your front, you'd still have a rim brake on the rear (boo hiss). Don't shy away from disks because of the wheel removal issue... I've ridden extensively with both rim and disk, there are vast differences, that being said if you aren't comfortable with the cost (can be great) or learning curve (minimal) of the hydro's, I'd set up with a matched set of XTR rim brakes - solid with plenty of power wet or dry. Hope this helps.

better than I deserve
    Azonic DS-1 I had it stripped and powder coated.Starting with just the frame.I was not going to disclose the dinosaur for fear people would just shrug me off with that frame but I got it cheap and had no idea I would have to re finish it.Previous had rattle canned over the old finish and stickers? It is in good shape though and looks decent now.

What sort of a frame do you have?
    ... and what sort of a fork is there now?

Generally, the new fork should be close to the same Axle to Crown length as the old one, taking into account fork "sag" when you are in riding position. A drastically different fork height will have a big effect on bike handling and could even put unexpected stresses on the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Give me a brake !? V-new-paint-azonic-019.jpg  

Last edited by roblee; 11-10-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: pic

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    Azonic DS-1 I had it stripped and powder coated.Starting with just the frame.
    I'd go with the Enix. They're both air sprung, they both have internally adjustable travel, but the Enix is much lighter than the Recon (3.8 lbs vs. 4.4 lb) and it has the handlebar lockout.

And as far as the neg. feedback regarding Avids, I haven't had any issues and I've had 2 bikes with them. I've also used high-end hydros, which feel better IMO, but they're significantly more expensive.

FWIW, I'd get matching brakes too. Disc wheels aren't any harder to work on with horizontal drops than V.

If $200 is too steep for wheels, there are a ton of decent sets out there for $100-$150.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    I am thinking I may try the Avid bb7`s set up.I really don`t want to spend any more for Hydr.
    In case you aren't aware, in terms of maintenence mechanical disc brakes are similar to v-brakes. In fact, when I had a set of mechanicals (Shimano M415) I was having to adjust the pads more frequently than my v-brakes.

If you can justify the cost, hydraulics are the way to go unless you ride in cold enough weather that it might cause problems for them.

BTW, I regularly read about improved modulation with hydraulics. I do like hydraulics the best and they are on my main bike, but my v-brakes modulate extremely well with the Shimano M590 levers. They feel fantastic.

better than I deserve
    Now I see why so many frame build ups never get done.The cost is too much.
    I may just have to use most of the parts off my other bike just to get this thing rolling and upgrade a bit later.

I decided on the X-Fusion Enix RLR 100mm Suspension Fork so far.

better than I deserve
    Thanks for everyone`s help!
    I ended up going with the X-Fusion Enix RLR.For the money ,weight,features and good reviews it was hard to beat and ended up my choice. I also scored a complete like new set of Avid BB7`s from a demo bike take off cable-levers & rotors incl.So two major components down two to go.

I need help now with wheels and crank set. Not looking for something too heavy duty but a good balance of weight and strength.And cost is a concern.

jtmartino,thanks for your links. I should have bought those wheels also but the next day the deal was gone.