Getting rid of my Avids what should I get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Getting rid of my Avids what should I get?

I am tired of my Avid Elixir CR brakes, I have only had them 3 months and I have had nothing but problems. My old Juicy 5's were better. They squeal, wobble, shimmy, you name it and today when I was adjusting the reach it simply fell off leaking fluid everywhere.

I have been looking at the Shimano Saints, but what do people recommend.

ultra member
    Get some Hopes.They are the best, EVER!
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's a snap-shot of the research I've been doing.....
    None of this is exact, so flame me if you're bored, but I know it's general.

Hope Race X2 - $500+ - work very well and be ready to spend for pads, light, easy to bleed. Look awesome. Floating rotor best in the business. The Hope Mini X2 Pro is the previous model and also very nice. My 1st choice.

Formula R1 - $600+ - work well and be ready to spend for pads rotors. My 2nd choice.

Avid Juicy Ultimates - $300+ find them on Ebay, require lost of bleeding with 2 syringes, light, look cool, fail after 2 years as stuck pistons, don't hold pressure. My 3rd choice.

Shimano XTR 975 - $300+ - work well for a year or two, then the right pistons need lubing to move properly - send them to Shimano in Irvine, CA for replacements. Light and look cool. My 4th choice.

Avid BB7 - $150 cheap and work well if you don't mind the extra 1/2 pound or more, rotors rub. Uneven front and rear lever feel. My 5th choice, but it's what I'm running now until I figure out what to do.

Avid Elixir - $350+ and fail similarly to the Ultimates after 2 years. My 3rd choice as well.

Magura Marta SL - feel free to chime in

Hayes Anything - feel free to chime in

So.... I'm guessing you could get new pair of Elixirs and be happy.
    If you want to spend, the Hope Racer X2 (new for 2010) is the best.
    Last edited by egebhardt; 06-02-2010 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    yeah I have looked at the Hopes, they look nice but more then I want to pay. I am looking at the 300 range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For $300 I would get a set of
    Shimano XT brakes. I have had
    real good luck with these, and
    no problems.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have an XTR 975 Brake Set I'm selling for $300. The Levers and Calipers and Hoses are all new in box. They are for 160mm Post Mount front and 140mm IS rear. I have some matching centerlock rotors for a bit more, if you are interested. It is a complete set.
    Eric in San Mateo CA 94403
    Last edited by egebhardt; 05-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.

mtbr member
    I run Shimano Deore XT and they are great. I am running Hayes rotors with them and they seem to work fine together.

I have a set of 2010 Deore brakes in the mail for another bike, looking forward to seeing how those work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have HOPE mono 6 ti brakes and am SELLING to upgrade to SAINTS all the FRs in the area are on SAINTS have heard nothing but great things about SAINTS the cranks are sick too.

look 986
    Dec 2009
    hope x2 are OK but thats about it. For that much money you might be better off buying used or do what i done and got a "take off". I got Formula R1s from a cube at just over half price and they are awesome.
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

...idios...
    It would help if people knew what you need from your brakes. What bike? Type of riding? Technique?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

AOK
    mtbr member
    Go with Shimano XT. I have had two sets for several years with no issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have an old pair of shimano XT 755's i bought used off ebay pulled both calipers apart cleaned and reassembled,new lines and mated too a pair of brand new XTR levers and they are great.Almost as good as my formula MEGA's but the shimano's were cheaper.paid all said an done maybe 160 on the xts and levers and such paid 180 for the MEGAS's. i had avid elixir cr's as well they crapped out in a few rides the levers are real shite on those! had hayes stroker ryde's they worked well for the time i used them, i trashed the one side in a wreck. and just got something else(honestly i bought the megas cause i thought they looked soo cool, impulse buy but they are awsome so it was worth it plus got a great deal on them)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pode
    i have an old pair of shimano XT 755's i bought used off ebay pulled both calipers apart cleaned and reassembled,new lines and mated too a pair of brand new XTR levers and they are great.Almost as good as my formula MEGA's but the shimano's were cheaper.paid all said an done maybe 160 on the xts and levers and such paid 180 for the MEGAS's. i had avid elixir cr's as well they crapped out in a few rides the levers are real shite on those! had hayes stroker ryde's they worked well for the time i used them, i trashed the one side in a wreck. and just got something else(honestly i bought the megas cause i thought they looked soo cool, impulse buy but they are awsome so it was worth it plus got a great deal on them)
    OT, but do you mean you split the 755 calipers and removed the pistons? What did you find in there and did you replace the caliper and piston seals?

Thanks

Tim

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    well i didnt remove the pistons just kinda pumped them out as far as i thought they might go, being very careful and doing this very slowly. then removed the lines both bolts holding the 2 halves together and pulled them apart. each half houses a piston but is one piece there is just one hole for transfer of the fluid from the hose side to the other side with an counter sunk circle on both halves where a little o-ring sits to seal. i cleaned everything with alcohol paying close attention too the piston sides then lubed with alittle mineral oil and then pushed the pistons back in to flush any remaining fluid then put back together with the same seal and they work awsome with the set up i mentioned earlier new hose and XTR levers.

11 is one louder than 10
    Get the newer XT's with servowave levers.

No question in my mind the best combination of easy set up, braking power and feel, and LOW maintenence.

Yeah, they weigh a few more grams. They blow away the current XTR's also. (once XTR uses the servo-wave levers they will be nice.)

Ditched all my Avid brakes for XT's and could NOT be happier. Mineral oil is nice also.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Afric Pepperbird
    Before you spend money on new brakes, you should figure out why your new, 3 month old brakes are giving you the problems you're describing. Did you install them? Did you install them correctly? If you're not mechanically inclined, take it to your local wrench and have them look it over.

T.W.O.
    Magura Louise bat carbon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well I attached fish weights to the back brake as another thread in this forum recomended and the back brakes seem to work well now. The vibration issue is gone.

The front brakes I have been having a lot of trouble centering correctly, I am pretty good mechanicaly so I know what I am doing on that end. I just rebled the brakes they still rub, but I have new pads comming on Tuesday so I am hopeing that fixes the issue.

Other then that what I am looking for a low maintence brakes, ones that do not require constant recentering.

mtbr member
    i just got some hayes stroker ace (Saint caliber) 4 piston..the are solid so far... and a little less expensive
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/brakes...r/stroker-ace/
    Last edited by PitchCrew; 05-28-2010 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pode
    well i didnt remove the pistons just kinda pumped them out as far as i thought they might go, being very careful and doing this very slowly. then removed the lines both bolts holding the 2 halves together and pulled them apart. each half houses a piston but is one piece there is just one hole for transfer of the fluid from the hose side to the other side with an counter sunk circle on both halves where a little o-ring sits to seal. i cleaned everything with alcohol paying close attention too the piston sides then lubed with alittle mineral oil and then pushed the pistons back in to flush any remaining fluid then put back together with the same seal and they work awsome with the set up i mentioned earlier new hose and XTR levers.
    Thanks for the details. I should do it to mine also as the pistons aren't retracting well, even after cleaning them as much as possible. How long ago did you do it and are the calipers still leak free?

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    As noted above by several, new XTs are tough to beat for the buck. Great pad to rotor clearance, anybody can bleed them, and Shimano really stands behind them. They come stock with metallic pads, which can be a bit noisy, but are easily replaced with resin pads. I just replaced the Avid Elixirs on both of my mtbs and my wife's mtb. Just tired of screwing around with them, then sending them back to Avid for replacement. Always cheerful customer service, but I ride a lot, and never got more than 3 months from Juicys or Elixirs before sending them back for replacement.

If your barrel adjuster just unthreaded, you got an early set of Elixirs that did not have the "stop" machined into the threads, and Avid will likely send you new brakes, which you can then sell while still in the box.

Finally, after buying three sets of XTs, I got clued into the Saint version. Apparently these are even less fussy, more powerful, a bit cheaper, and only 50g heavier? Might be worth checking out.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I put XT's on my bike a couple weeks ago. The brakes have several long descents on them already. And I am not impressed in any way.
    I do agree that bleeding is fairly easy as I had to swap levers due to the fact that they were UK models. But both the front and rear howl when I apply heavy lever pressure. I already sanded and chamfered the pads and sanded the rotor and they still do it. I have bled the brakes twice but lever pressure is not as positive as i would like and power is not that good so far either. The stock sintered pads are fairly noisy as well.
    I am running 8" rotors and I know how to setup and align brakesets. I also very carefully and purposefully bedded the brakes in and there is no contamination on the pads...
    Ironically I was running a Elixir R 7" rotor on the front before that and it was fairly quiet and it stopped fairly well.
    So I am going to give the XT's another week but if they don't quiet down I am going to sell them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

magura louise BAT

The Magura Louise BAT are excellent low maintenance brakes that are good value. Nice touch is that you can easily remove the levers. Have used titanium bolts on mine. They do come with long hoses when new but it is easy to cut them down to size without bleeding. Here is a photo of bike as I am bored because it is raining nonstop at the moment.

Members who have read this thread: 0