Thread: Gatorbrake?

mtbr member

Gatorbrake?

I was looking around at different hyd brakes and came across "Gatorbrakes" is there a reason they are cheaper than the rest? Anyone know anything about them?
    Thanks! Aaron

Old man on a bike
    Only heard about their rotors, they seem pretty well received and apparently are lighter than say stock Avids. Don't know anything about them otherwise. Who knows what they might make for other brands...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Meh.
    Don't know which brakes you are looking at... but the 4/6/8 piston brakes are garbage.

The rotors are okay.

mtbr member
    I purchased a pair recently from PricePoint and yes, they are terrible. No modulation and you have to squeeze the #$%@ out the lever to get any power. I would stay away from them. I purchased the four piston version.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I thought they must be garbage at the price they were going for ($60 new) I bought Avid Juicy sevens instead. I hope they are good and dont leak all over the place.
    Thanks! Aaron

The plough
    We are testing their 6 piston model now.

I think they had a bad production run where the brakes were not properly assembled/bled prior to delivery.

Our first set of 6 piston brakes had no power at all and the lever was positioned way out of reach (my hands are large, but this was too far even for me). Now the same set came back, properly bled and adjusted for reach.

I have to say that the initial impressions are positive. Lever feel is excellent (superior to Juicy 5, Juicy 3, Hayes Stroker), and the stopping power seems adequate and well modulated. I am guessing if your pair seems spongy and low in power, get them bled/serviced.

The one other thing you need to watch out for is that the IS mount is integrated into the caliper, whereas on other brakes post mount is the mounting of choice. If you want to use a 6 piston Gatorbrake with a post mount fork, you will need a post mount adapter and a 203mm rotor.

We'll be testing them for over a month before we can give a full verdict.

V.

Members who have read this thread: 0