Galfer rotors and pads too tight on Juicy 7 (?)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Galfer rotors and pads too tight on Juicy 7 (?)

I've just fitted galfer rotors and galfer red pads to my Juicy 7s, front and back, and am finding that everything is too tight a fit - i.e. the pads are contacting the rotors even when the brake levers are not engaged. I have pushed the pistons back into the calipers as far as they will go but it has not helped. Anyone have any ideas how to solve this?

Meh.
    Are the backs of the pads flush with the rest of the caliper? Or are the pistons still extended a bit? If the pistons are not completely back into their bores, and will not go back any further, the system is most likely overfilled. To fix this, level out the levers, open the bleed port, push the pads back in. This will force out any excess fluid. Close it up. Wipe it down.

Sometimes non-OE pads are a tad too thick. A quick scrub across some sandpaper should take care of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would take the cap off the resivoir and pushing the fluid up and leave the bleed screw tight. Less of a chance of sucking in air.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by moto367
    I would take the cap off the resivoir and pushing the fluid up and leave the bleed screw tight. Less of a chance of sucking in air.

Not on an Avid Juicy Brake...
    I wouldn't take the cap off, you'll need to bleed the whole system if you take the cap off.
    Best to follow XSL_WiLL's method.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Meh.
    Plus if you take the resi cap off you risk damaging the diaphragm.

How would the bleed screw on the lever have any greater chance of sucking in air? The bleed screw faces up... the resi cap is on the side of the lever... Both go to the same place... And when you push the pistons in, you're not creating a vacuum... you're expelling excess fluid...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the advice. With the pads out the pistons could not be retracted in to be flush with the caliper body, so I'll have a go at this over the weekend and see how it pans out.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by boredwitless
    Thanks for the advice. With the pads out the pistons could not be retracted in to be flush with the caliper body, so I'll have a go at this over the weekend and see how it pans out.
    Fallow what XSL_WiLL said, I have Galfer rotors & pads with 7's & they are awesome. Release the pressure, let the xtra fluid flow out.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Members who have read this thread: 0