front caliper hitting spokes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

front caliper hitting spokes

So i seem to have aquired a new problem with my bike (K2 lithium 4.0). i've been riding this current wheel and brake setup (hayes nines) for about half a year, with no problems what so ever. however, i noticed today that the front caliper is catching some of the spokes as it turns. It doesn't happen unless the bike is weighted. My last ride i did a pretty steep downhill run, but no hard landings or crashes. I've tried recentralizing the caliper, but that didn't fix it. is it possible that the mounts on the fork got bent inward? That seems to be my guess, but my knowledge is limited. Thanks for the responses in advance.

is buachail foighneach me
    Might just be time to get your wheel retensioned.

AZ
    banned
    What is your spoke tension like? If spokes are loosening it could cause the interference you are suffering .

mtbr member
    I would also double check your skewer is not bent and tightened properly.

~Disc~Golf~
    no hittin' spokes w/ one of these -
    Honestly... ahh I give up

...idios...
    You should also check your wheel bearings for play. Turn the bike upside down, grab the wheel with one hand at the top and one at the bottom, then try to move it laterally.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i checked for lateral play; there was some (a couple mm), but it didn't seem significant. I was playing with the spacers on either side of the hub last nite, and i was able to prevent the spokes from hitting the caliper, but at the cost of causing some severe brake rub, since the rotor was angled into the caliper. it seems that only 1 pair of spokes is rubbing each rotation, so i'm thinking that the wheel needs to be retensioned, unless anyone has any other suggestions. thanks for the help.

...idios...
    unless anyone has any other suggestions...
    Take it to a shop. You shouldn't have any lateral play and your rotor shouldn't be running at an angle through the caliper. You don't really sound like you know what you're doing or why you're doing it, so the safest thing for you to do is to let somebody who does take a look at your problem. Ask them if they would talk you through the checks they're making and to explain how they fixed the rubbing.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

EDR
    have the wheel looked at.

Members who have read this thread: 0