mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Front Cable Hangar

My bike came stock with old school center pull canti's and not too long ago I switched the brakes out for linear / V.

Anyways, I was browsing this forum and I've just recently noticed that that the person who installed my brakes removed the front cable hangar that attached to the headset I believe.

Now, I'm a little confused on how this all works out, but I was wondering if you remove the front cable hangar is it supposed to be replaced with a headset spacer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "Now, I'm a little confused on how this all works out, but I was wondering if you remove the front cable hangar is it supposed to be replaced with a headset spacer?"

Usually yes. But it may not have been necessary. It depends on how much space above the end of the steerer tube there was with the hanger in place. When everything is in place there should be right around 3mm of space between the lock nut and the end of the steerer on a threaded headset, or the top of the steerer and the top of the stem clamp of a threadless headset. This is to allow sufficient room to adjust bearing preload on either style of headset. As long as everything is tight and you don't have any play in the headset your fine. If you do have play in the headset and can't get it adjusted out, then there probably should have been a 2mm spacer installed to replace the hanger. Then again it may have already been done. A steel steerer hanger is only about 2 to 2.5mm thick. It may be there but not particularly noticeable.

Anyway, as noted, if everything is tight it shouldn't be a problem.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"