Formula RX or BB7's $$$ question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Formula RX or BB7's $$$ question

I know everyone is probably sick of these questions but I have to make a decision and need help.

Heres how I laid it out and would like to set up each system.

Formula RX (black) $130 X 2

Rotors rear: Formula R1 160mm with bolts $40

Rotors front: Formula R1 160mm w/adapter and bolts $45

Center lock adapter for rear: Dt Swiss $28

Or

Avid BB7's $45 X 2

Avid G2 160mm cleansweep rotor $45

Shimano XTR centerlock rotor 140mm $50

Avid Speed Dial 7 levers $25

Jagwire ripcord cables $25

So Formula Rx for $373 or BB7's for $235 ?

Hi.
    Formula.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    +1 Formula

mtbr member
    Formula without any doubt. Look for deals on complete brakes with R1 rotors on that auction site...

I got an entire setup with a pair of R1 rotors for $100 less than your BB7 calculations, shipped. With the extra money saved, I purchased a bleed kit, all Ti bolt kit and alloy backed pads and and still spent less money. They are some of the best (maybe the most powerful) and easiest to cut, bleed and setup that I've used so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-X
    Formula without any doubt. Look for deals on complete brakes with R1 rotors on that auction site...

I got an entire setup with a pair of R1 rotors for $100 less than your BB7 calculations, shipped. With the extra money saved, I purchased a bleed kit, all Ti bolt kit and alloy backed pads and and still spent less money. They are some of the best (maybe the most powerful) and easiest to cut, bleed and setup that I've used so far.
    An added bonus is that Jagwire makes tube joint kits, replacement hoses and brake pads that work with these brakes along with the R1 and the new "The One" brake sets--cheap and readily available from several sources--and they work great in my experience. Just in case you can't get those small parts from Formula or a Formula dealer due to shortages.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-X
    Time is an issue and all the deals on "that auction site" or going for more money than you can buy them from on Pricepoint. Also there's not much on there either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I bought the RX's from price point a couple of months ago and i could not be happier.They have incredible power for such a small brake.

mtbr member
    I haven't looked recently, but they had some great deals just a few weeks ago when I purchased mine. Pricepoint was my next option but, as you can tell, I was lucky enough to get even better pricing. Pricepoint is a good source though. I often purchase stuff there when I'm looking for deals. Their customer service people have treated me well.

Edit: Just went back and checked. You're right. All the super deals are gone. Only Rock Mountain is selling them now and they are not going so cheap anymore. The ones that I purchased were in a buy it now or best offer auction and they accepted my best offer for two brakes. I and several other people got some fantastic deals in April and May...

mtbr member
    i think you'd have to be crazy to spend 85 bucks on a pair of 160mm rotors regardless of what brake you chose! a very good 160 wont run you more than 20 bucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ended up with Formula RX through my LBS for $300 installed, I just have to wait for them to come in. That was a good enough deal for me. Like I said I had to make a decision quick.

Members who have read this thread: 0