Formula Oro Brakes - Customer Service- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! Formula Oro Brakes - Customer Service

I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Chris at Formula Brakes.

I called him yesterday about a problem I was having with my Oro K24 brakes. The rear caliper would fully retract and caused the brake pads to bind up on the rotor. Following Chris' recommendations, my brake is good as new!

Thanks for the help!!!!

Curmudgeon

Hope Please tell

Quote Originally Posted by MarkerMan
    I...Following Chris' recommendations, my brake is good as new!

Thanks for the help!!!!
    What were his recommendations?

Cheers
    -S

mtbr member
    #1. Remove the rear brake caliper.
    #2. Insert the plastic red spacer (which came with the brakes) between the brake pads. (I wasn't able to do this so I skipped this step.
    #3. Remove brake lever from bars. Hold it so the brake lever points straight up and make sure it is higher than brake caliper.
    #4. Slowly loosen the star nut a little bit on the brake lever, which is used to fill the lever with brake fluid. A small amount of brake fluid should come out as you loosen the nut. Do not fully remove the nut.
    #5. Re-tighten the star nut on the brake lever. Wipe any excess brake fluid from the lever using alcohol.
    #6. Check the brake pad spacing using the red pad spacer. If OK, reinstall the lever and caliber.

Basically this procedure releases any pressure in the brake system. Apparently brake fluid can absorb water over time, which causes the fluid to expand?

They also recommended cleaning the caliper pistons too, which is done by

#1. Removing the brake caliper from the bike and removing the brake pads.
    #2. Squeeze the brake lever a few times, which causes the caliper pistons to move in towards each other.
    #3. Carefully clean exposed caliper pistons and spray silicone lube on the exposed caliper pistons.
    #4. Carefully use a screw driver or tire lever to push the caliper pistons back into the calipers.
    #5. Repeat steps 2-4 a few times.

Be careful not to squeeze the break lever too many times because the caliper pistons can come completely out of the caliper. This will cause you to add more brake fluid to the caliper and have to bleed the brakes.

One last thing, if after doing all of the above you notice squeezing the brake lever doesn't engage the brakes very well, do this:

#1. Remove caliper from bike.
    #2. Squeeze brake lever once.
    #3. Reinstall caliber and test brakes.

If this doesn't work, repeat the above once or twice more. All this is doing is moving the brake pads towards rotors, thus reducing the distance they have to travel when the brake lever is squeezed.

Hope all this makes sense and helps!

Curmudgeon
    Thanks for posting this info. I'm gonna try silicone spray lube on my caliper pistons next time I overhaul my brakes, that sounds like a good idea.

BTW I've got The Ones. Love their performance when all dialed-in but hate that they eat pads as fast as I drink beer. I'm darn close to swapping these for some new Hope Tech M4.

-S

i

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    I wish some other companies had end user support.

Members who have read this thread: 0