Formula K24 or Shimano XT?- Mtbr.com
    kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Formula K24 or Shimano XT?

I've narrowed my new brake purchase down to either Formula K24s or Shimano XTs (775s). I can get them for around the same price. Looking to replace my 6 year old Martas.

After living with my Martas, I am looking for something a little more reliable. The Martas are fine when they work, but needed bled fairly often.

Anyone got any opinons? Should I be concerned that the K24s are a discontinued brake? Based on the reviews on this site, these seem like really nice brakes.

Two local shops both recommended the XTs.

Any insight would help.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just bought the K24's. Awesome stoppers. I guess I would rather get over $400 of brake for 50% off verses a $200 brake.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    I just bought the K24's. Awesome stoppers. I guess I would rather get over $400 of brake for 50% off verses a $200 brake.
    Thanks Juan. I have heard nothing but good things about the Formulas...just want to make sure I get a solid, reliable braking system. The other assuring thing about these brakes...if you read the reviews on this site most people have had theirs for 1-2 years with no problems.

I don't relate the cost of brakes to their quality. My Martas are case in point. Yes they are light, but have needed some work, including my entire rear lever assembly being replaced under warranty. I ride with a guy who has Hayes Mags that he has yet to touch in 4 years, other than pad changes. He paid a lot less for his Hayes than I did for my Martas. They don't look as sexy as my Martas, but function just as good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

+1 For the K24's

Quote Originally Posted by kmc
    I've narrowed my new brake purchase down to either Formula K24s or Shimano XTs (775s). I can get them for around the same price. Looking to replace my 6 year old Martas.

After living with my Martas, I am looking for something a little more reliable. The Martas are fine when they work, but needed bled fairly often.

Anyone got any opinons? Should I be concerned that the K24s are a discontinued brake? Based on the reviews on this site, these seem like really nice brakes.

Two local shops both recommended the XTs.

Any insight would help.

Thanks!
    I have both, Marta SL's and the K24's. I feel the K24's modulate better and had I known about them, I would have purchased them for my 26" bike instead of the Marta's. I've never ridden XT's but my LBS steered me away from them due to noise. Buy the Formulas, bed them in and forget about them. They are awesome!

Good Luck!

Team Blindspot
    I've had both. I kept the XT's. There are easier to bleed, and have been bullet proof. The k24's and the XT's feel almost identical. Excellent power and modulation. The little plastic pad adjuster broke out of the box with my K24's. Formula replaced them, but I like the lever of the XT's better.

You really can't go wrong with either, what ulimately swayed me to the XT's is I did not enjoy working with DOT brake fluid.

Good Luck!
    Astigmatic Visionary

Takin'er easy
    The main problem I have seen with Formula in general is the availability of after-market parts in the U.S. I have seen entire months go by without being able to get a hold of brake pads, hoses, adapters, or rotors.

Regardless of which brakes you get, if you push fresh fluid through the system once every season, you will get longer life out of your brake system.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

xt rotors?

You guys running XT...what rotors are you using? My hubs are 6 bolt and don't care to use an adapter to get the centerlock rotors to work.

Thanks for the input...it is getting clear as mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Alligator Windcutters. Light at 93 grams each, work well and dirt cheap at Pricepoint.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    these have been awesome rotors with my new xt brakes. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=39007

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesaregood
    The main problem I have seen with Formula in general is the availability of after-market parts in the U.S. I have seen entire months go by without being able to get a hold of brake pads, hoses, adapters, or rotors.

Regardless of which brakes you get, if you push fresh fluid through the system once every season, you will get longer life out of your brake system.
    Yep...this is my biggest concern as well. I hear Formula USA support is outstanding. but I always have to order pads, rotors for my Martas on line - could never just walk into a bike shop and get them.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    Alligator Windcutters. Light at 93 grams each, work well and dirt cheap at Pricepoint.
    Are you running these on your K24s?

I'll do it next time!
    I had XT disc brakes. Easy to bleed, but they didn't like being upside down (when you flip the bike over for maintenance or storage). They seemed to go mushy and need rebleeding. I also changed the rear brake pads as the rear brake would squeel like crazy. XTR pads sorted the noise out.
    I now have Hope Tech X2's which are awesome.

I ran the XT's with XTR 160mm rotors f+r. If i had XT brakes again i would have a 180mm rotor on the front.

aka bOb
    I was running Avid G2's with my 775's now I am running Hope floaters with a little filing needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

This is a non issue. The parts, if you ever need them are available and only a phone call away. The CS at Formula is top notch. I needed a PM adapter and pads. Had them within a few days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Are you running these on your K24s?
    Yes I am and they do play very nicely together.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Really? I dont have any problems finding parts in the San Jose CA area. I could be just where I am. Your area just may not have a retailer local. I can say I also have had no issues with parts on the internet. Speedgoat.com is good. Treefort bike is good too.

Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The Formula is leaps and bounds better than the XT. Much more power and better modulation. Better lever feel too.

I have 2 sets of K24's, 1 set of Bianco's, and 1 set of Puro's. Love them all....

Top notch Customer service to boot.

Get the sintered pads and the K24's will be even more powerful.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Final decision

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I ended up buying a set of new take-off XT brakes. It was a pretty hard decision...everything I have read about Formulas has been great. A couple of reasons why I chose XTs:

- I can pick up pads anywhere.
    - They are supposed to be really easy to bleed and incredibly reliable.
    - Very few bike shops in my area (greater Seattle) knew that much about Formula. I do most of my own wrenching, but would be nice to have a local source of knowledge if needed.
    - Almost everyone I talked to about XTs liked theirs. I also talked to a few people who went from Martas to XTs and were happy with the switch.
    - They use mineral oil instead of DOT. Not that big of deal.

Ended up getting the brakes, adapters, and Magura drilled rotors for $250 shipped - the same price the K24s would have cost.

Again, thanks to all for advice. I will report back on what I think of the XTs.
    Last edited by kmc; 12-12-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

XT's are bombproof!!!

I have been running some XT 765's for a long time, over 3 years, and they have never given me one problem except the rear pads get shot quicker then I would like. I run Formula's now on one bike and they are quality and set up nicely. No rubbing on either system. Touch call. I found XT 's them for $150 an end at Wheelworld.com with rotors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I ended up buying a set of new take-off XT brakes. It was a pretty hard decision...everything I have read about Formulas has been great. A couple of reasons why I chose XTs:

- I can pick up pads anywhere.
    - They are supposed to be really easy to bleed and incredibly reliable.
    - Very few bike shops in my area (greater Seattle) knew that much about Formula. I do most of my own wrenching, but would be nice to have a local source of knowledge if needed.
    - Almost everyone I talked to about XTs liked theirs. I also talked to a few people who went from Martas to XTs and were happy with the switch.
    - They use mineral oil instead of DOT. Not that big of deal.

Ended up getting the brakes, adapters, and Magura drilled rotors for $250 shipped - the same price the K24s would have cost.

Again, thanks to all for advice. I will report back on what I think of the XTs.
    Bro...You made the right move,to much formula hype out there...yhea there a good brake,but for ease of everything and bang for your $$$ you cant beat shimanos

Members who have read this thread: 0