mtbr member
    Jan 2008

"force multiplier" style brake levers?

Yes, I'm too lazy to do a search. Does anyone know who still manufactures a brake lever that has an adjustable "pin" that changes the angle of the brake cable when the levers are pulled for V brakes. I like to have my brakes within 1-2 mm off my rims so that I don't have to pull the lever far for braking force. Problem I currently have is that the return springs on the Truvativ V's don't always stay adjusted and one side is usually rubbing after several brakings. Maybe w/ a "force multiplier" lever I can relax the distance and still get the short throw of the lever for braking distance. I know Shimanos XTR has this but they are a shifter/lever combo and like the shifter I have now; I only need the levers. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciative. Or maybe I'm just to anal about my ride's functioning.

Old man on a bike
    Are you speaking of Shimano's Servo-Wave adjustment? It's on more than just XTR levers and Shimano does have solo levers. A brief search yielded http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=24661

Might be easier to just tweak your spring to even the tension on your current brake.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I've always wondered why there isn't a "v only moves this far away" adjustement instead of the useless "balance the springs" adjustment. I suppose getting off the wheels might be a problem ... meh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I could be wrong but isnt that basicly what the Avid Speed Dial levers are?

Old man on a bike
    Avid calls their Speed Dial a leverage ratio adjustment. The Servo Wave Shimano calls a modulation adjustment on one page, yet, the "manual" that comes with the lever just refers to adjusting the pitch adjustting screw which seems to change the leverage ratio and doesn't mention Servo Wave. Gotta love marketing jargon. Can't imagine they're exactly the same but I doubt they're too different.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bikin, thanks for the info on the shimanos, but w/out a closer look they don't look like the ones I've seen on the past. Not counting the XTR's I worked on, on a freind's Klein Mantra, I saw a set many years ago before disk became popular. These had a "pin" going through the brake lever housing that maintained the cable's original entry angle, in regards to the barrel adjustment; no matter were the lever's ending position thus (in theory) magnified the lever/cable's kinetic force. These prevented the cable travel from following the lever's aftward motion when applied thus increasing the overall "gathering" of cable (multiplying). Another style I would like know if available, is a "seesaw" type of lever. The Pivot point of the lever is in center with "lever" side being one half and the other half is the "pin". Then when you apply the lever back the other half "pushes" the cable forward thus "multiplying" the actual force applied. This way I could relax my pads' from the rim and when I apply the brakes I "gather" a +% of cable length. I hope this makes sense. There again, I could be overly anal about my bike's performance capabilities.

Old man on a bike
    Maybe looking at some of the drawings on techdocs.shimano.com might help? Like this one maybe http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830600525.pdf
    or this one
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608744.pdf

In looking at both some XTR and XT drawings just now I notice that it's the XTR that has the pitch adjusting screw and the XTs use blocks.
    suum quique

conjoinicorned
    avid speed dial levers are exactly what you are looking for....but they use a (superior to a pin) dial adjustment. the dial simply moves the cable end closer/farther from the lever pivot point, which effectively creates a longer/shorter lever arm (and therefore magnifies/reduces lever force)

i have some older shimano levers with the pin, i don't think they make them anymore...but exactly the same function as the speed dials.

i wouldn't ride v's or mech. discs without the speed dials, ever. if you look around there are some cheap versions as well.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for info guys. After looking at the two options posted, I'm leaning towards the avid speed dial group; only because every other component on my bike is SRAM(why not the levers). When I get them my bike will look like a rolling advertisment. Guess I'll need by some SRAM appearel also and become a friggin' billboard LOL. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0