Fixing a scarred rotor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Fixing a scarred rotor

My own stupid fault- put organic pads in instead of sintered on a wet Yorkshire Dales ride. They wore out 20 miles into the ride and now my rotor has some not insignificant gouges and scrapes

Any tips for repairing the rotor apart from attackng it with a Dremel?!

Is it even worth bothering to fix considering discobrakes.com sell 180mm rotors at 13?

...idios...
    Pics?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RicB
    My own stupid fault- put organic pads in instead of sintered on a wet Yorkshire Dales ride. They wore out 20 miles into the ride and now my rotor has some not insignificant gouges and scrapes

Is it even worth bothering to fix considering discobrakes.com sell 180mm rotors at 13?
    Replace it if it bothers you. Repairing is not feasible. At best, you would have thick and thin spots that would cause a surging feel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Replace pads and see how it goes. The rougher the rotor is the better your braking power.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RicB

Been there done that....

1 Best way get a flat file and carefully work your way around the rotor (takes care of the little ridge where the pad ended.

2 Quicker get an angle grinder with a flap pad, very gently go over the whole rotor, careful to move around alot.

3 Easiest get some fine sand paper pinch it between your fingers and rotate the bike wheel let your fingers rest up on the caliper...

4 Lots of patience, glue the sand paper to some pads and insert in the caliper spin wheel...

Pick 3 get some new pads, if you get squealing or poor braking move on from there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Replace it if it bothers you. Repairing is not feasible. At best, you would have thick and thin spots that would cause a surging feel.

BS not true at all, thick and thin spots have never been my problem, and I have fixed about 5 cooked, and scrapped rotors.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    replace... trying to fix them isn't worth the time you would invest, only to have them possibly not work...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I quite enjoy fixing things, and it gives me something to do whilst the wife watches Strictly!

Great suggestions there Jeff, thanks

Will sort some pics later and let you know how it goes

Members who have read this thread: 0