Emergency - Brake pad folding over between brake and rim - Cycling tourist- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Emergency - Brake pad folding over between brake and rim - Cycling tourist

I have a cycling tourist from Belgium staying at my house in FL and his rear v-brake right pad is pulling out of the holder from the back to the front and folding between the rim. (If that makes sense)

Basically these are mountain bike style v-brakes on a touring bike that use a shoe/cartridge style vbrake pad instead of the normal one piece pads.

The problem is that the rear of the pad (where it's curved out a bit grabs the rim and starts to fold back to where the cotter pin catches it.
    I thought it was a defective pad, but replacing it does the same thing.

The only thing I can think is that the holder is defective. This is the only pad that does this. The cotter pin is stopping the thing from being fully ripped out, so that seems to be in place.

Any ideas? Something I'm missing

I think you're right (holder is unserviceable). I would go to one-piece pads and call it good. Cartridge pads may be cheaper to replace, but in the long run it's not that big of a savings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hi Forester! Thanks for the update. That's kind of what I was thinking. I appreciate it. If anyone else can think of anything else, I'd be open to suggestions. They're Deore LX brakes if that tells anyone anything. They're a blue pad which is from Europe which are pretty soft and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

mtbr member
    Time to get a new v-brake (or pads it it'll take some quality avids or shimanos). I'm not familiar with that style of brake pad, but I'd change them out to a single piece. I can't imagine the cost savings are worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks watts. I don't guess that these are low quality pads. My guess is that they were super expensive ones, but yeah. He's going to wind up with whatever 1 piece pads I can find.

the blue may be too soft for his riding or the conditions, but you can get Aztecs in several compounds and I use them on my rim-brake bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah. I think the blue ones might be too soft for loaded touring

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Are the pins at the back or front of the holders (with relation to the front/rear of the bike)?

Pictures of the holders would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Pins are towards the back...wish I had pic. I can see where the holders have the arrows pointing towards the front of the bike. And as I said, where the pad is folded over, I think the pin is what stopped it from being ripped out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you so much for all your help everyone. I'll try to get him back on the road tomorrow.

mtbr member
    If those are the cartridge style V brakes, the pad had grooves molded into them, and they slid into the pad holder, and a pin held them from popping out. If the slot in the pad holder is damaged, that would cause the issue.

Pull the entire holder/pad assembly off, and pull the pad out. If it is damaged, replace it. The original reason for the cartridges was for very easy, fast pad changes.

Those cartridges are also not "symmetrical" The one piece pads usually were, but the parallel push V-Brakes with cartridge were offset. The pin should be towards the rear of the bike, which means the longer side of the pad (from the mounting bolt) would also be towards the rear of the bike.
    The way I was reading later responses, it sounds like the pin as at the front (as the pin is "stopping the pad from coming out")