Elixr brake squeaks when not in use- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Elixr brake squeaks when not in use

When I'm on my old road bike with break pads I only get squeeking if I actually use the breaks but the opposite is true with my new 29er. My rear Elixer disc break squeeks when I'm rolling but as soon as I start to use it, it stops squeeking. I noticed that if I squeeze the handle just slightly (not enough to actually break at all) the noise stops. So I road that way today to avoid the anoyance. What would cause this? Oil on the rotor? Cable needs to be tightened? What?

nothing to see here
    Brakes sometimes sound like that when the rotors are warped. Is it continual, or just once per wheel revolution?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    loosen the mounts and recenter the brake caliper over the rotor.

Powered by ice cream.
    Last edited by Enel; 12-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

poser Administrator
    'k I fixed your title Reminder: Break is what happens when you drop an egg, brake is what is on your wheels.

Your brake caliper is probably touching, as in the rotor is not centered in the caliper. You can adjust the caliper side to side. Refer to the Tutorials on the Park Tools website for more.

Oh and I am moving this to the appropriate forum as well.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As the others above have said, try the simple things first like checking the rotor is not warped and the caliper is aligned correctly.

I have had similar problem with Shimano and Formula brakes. In both cases there was a problem with the caliper piston not being square and retracting properly. The caliper needed a rebuild with new piston seals to fix the problem.

This problem can cause the squeaks you describe as the pads are never retracted completely clear of the rotor and part of the pad remains in contact with the rotor.

mtbr member
    My front Elixir CR does this at high speed only, and it appears to be a very slightly warped rotor. I've tweaked the rotor a little with some success, but I've not completely resolved the problem.

I'm using a 185mm Roundagon rotor on the front and one of my theories is that the rotor either vibrates or otherwise moves when spinning at high RPM and this causes the intermittent rubbing and noise.
    Dave

Big Gulps, Alright!
    FYI, Elixirs are a hydraulic disc brake, and there is no cable to tighten, so don't try.

I've seen people loosen their hydraulic lines attempting to do this.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by neweyess
    When I'm on my old road bike with break pads I only get squeeking if I actually use the breaks but the opposite is true with my new 29er. My rear Elixer disc break squeeks when I'm rolling but as soon as I start to use it, it stops squeeking. I noticed that if I squeeze the handle just slightly (not enough to actually break at all) the noise stops. So I road that way today to avoid the anoyance. What would cause this? Oil on the rotor? Cable needs to be tightened? What?
    As other posters have suggested, it's either a warped rotor, or the caliper is not centered over the rotor. The pad is lightly dragging against the rotor which is causing the squeaking.

mtbr member
    I had a Giant Trance that the frame flexed when I sat on it. The rear brake would not rub in the stand and the rotor was dead straight. When I would ride the bike the rotor would slightly rub and squeek. I had a buddy center up the caliper while I was on the bike and all was good. The rotor did rub when I was off the bike though.

Members who have read this thread: 0