Do I need to bleed my Avid Juicy 3s?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Do I need to bleed my Avid Juicy 3s?

I recently went out for a short ride in the cold, and as I was putting the bike back in the garage (rolling it vertically on the rear wheel) I noticed that the rear brake went soft, and I could squeeze the lever all the way to the handlebar. I tried pumping the front brake, and soon the same thing happened to it. When I put the bike back down on the ground, I had to pump the brakes a lot before full pressure returned (it took longer in the rear). The brakes seem to work fine when I'm riding, though, and I don't want to screw it up and make anything worse, but should I bleed the brakes? How often should hydraulic brakes need to be bled?
    Matt

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Sounds like they need a bleed. There is air in the system, which is compressible (oil is not). Turning the bike upside allowed the air to rise to the caliper, making it incredibly noticeable. Re-orienting it did the reverse.

Bleeding it should solve the problem, which will only get worse if left alone. I bleed my brakes about once a year, YMMV.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Should I flush out all the old fluid and replace it with fresh fluid, or just bleed out the air? What fluid is already in there (or does it matter what fluid I use)? The instructions say use either DOT 4 or 5.1, and the bleed kit seems to include DOT 5.1.
    Matt

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I would see what the fluid looks like before deciding how much to replace. If it's really dirty, flush it out well. If not, just bleed it.

You can use 4 or 5.1. I believe 5.1 is a little higher quality, but 4 is much easier to find locally and that's what I usually end up using. DO NOT use DOT 5 - it's silicon-based and won't work. 5.1 is fine however.

There's a lot of different instructions on how to do it. Follow these and you should be fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mg6NbIjmOM
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

Members who have read this thread: 0