Do I keep my Juicy 7's or start all over again?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Do I keep my Juicy 7's or start all over again?

Okay, going on a road trip late next week to Utah/AZ and I have just had it with my Juicy 7 brakes that I think are circa 2004-2005 (bought them used and not sure what year). I still have the wavy rotors but recently installed Galfer pads. Before installing the pads, I did my best to clean up the rotors with fine grit sandpaper and rubbing alcohol. Two rides later after pad install I still am getting the usual squawks/shudders and feel pretty frustrated.

Part of me wants to act out and start all over again with a different brake system. The other, more adult side, wonders if the round rotors with the Galfer pads will save the day. I love the feel of these brakes but have always had noise issues. I can only imagine there are a lot of posts concerning this issue but I was hoping for some quick advice so I can prepare for road trip.

Thanks in advance!

Meh.
    Get the G2 Cleansweeps (free) just have your shop contact SRAM. Be sure to sand your pads in a figure-8 to resurface them before isntalling. Also make sure that the pads aren't grabbing the arms of the rotor.

Not dead yet, just playin
    I agree with Will, give the J7s one last try. Make sure you don't have any sticky piston problems and go with the G2 rotors. Also, I've never had luck with Galfer pads, they made more noise than stock Avid C-4 semi-metallic pads. However, I really like the new Avid Organic pads. They're super quiet and almost as powerful as the semi-metallics.

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks for your responses.

One of those morning after a night ride frustration posts. Man, I want to love these brakes and will try the avid clean sweeps/organic pad route.

Members who have read this thread: 0