DIY Bleed Kit - make your own!!- Mtbr.com
    SS Killa
    May 2010

Smile DIY Bleed Kit - make your own!!

Hi hello and thankyou for looking at my first post.

As a big believer in a bit of do it yourself, and saving a few quid ($), ~I though of a better way to spend /$ 20 than sending to the manufacturer of our beloved disk brake manufacturers! I have a pair of Magura Julies and a pair of Shimano Deors - not great but I am poor! I thought to get the brakes serviced I would have to spend some to get a tiny bottle of fluid and an easy ride - but why do it the easy way!

I made my own bleed kit by visiting a car garage, and a pharmacy! Here's what I did:

DIY Bleed Kit - make your own!!-imag02.jpg

DIY Bleed Kit - make your own!!-imag01.jpg

1) I visited the pharmacy or drug store for a large syringe ( they cost me a donation to the local charity) although you may need to pay them.

2) Then to the local car garage for some more supplies! I bought a length of windscreen washer hose (M5) and a bottle of mineral oil.

3) WARNING - To void your brake warranty allways fill your brakes with non - specific random oil - a sure way to get rid of that pesky manufacturers guarantee!! so always use the Manufacturers recomended oil, unless you care less or the waranty is expired and your feeling adventurous . . .

4) I use the automobile trades own oil for my brakes - I think as a rule most use mineral oil because the DOT Type can be corrosive, but have a look for a suitable replacement online, to see what peops have done with theirs. Personally I am using Ferodo LHM+ Mineral Fluid for Hydraulic Systems, compatible for Citroen, also Jaguar oil is good too I've heard.

5) I used the red cap from a tube of UniBond sealant, like the ones you use in a skellington gun. I also used a 5M standard thread bolt, and drilled a 3M hole through it with my hand drill. I clamped it in a vice and then drilled through the middle and ground off the head. This gave me the sized fitting for the bleed valve screw.

I stuck it all together and ended up with a bleed kit that is really great, and for the same price I have a load more oil to flush out the system properly!

Thankyou for your interest!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't get how that works for the Shimanos. What does the screw thread into?

SS Killa
    May 2010
    I made this for the Magura Julies, I am not sure how to service the shimano brakes? Advice would be good! Does the end cap screw orr, cos then you could drill another bolt, say if it was M4 ?

I know that the syringe I aquired has an adapter for the end (if you look at the pic you can see 2 of them in the body of the syringe) So am assuming I could fit these to a smaller size hole?

Hope it helps. . . .

Bedwards Of The West
    I made one out of one of those medical snot-sucking bulbs that come with your new baby from the hospital, and a piece of tubing that I robbed from my wife's breast pump. Have a baby...get a DIY bleed kit. It's a win/win.

edit: like this:
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by moteor
    I made this for the Magura Julies, I am not sure how to service the shimano brakes? Advice would be good! Does the end cap screw orr, cos then you could drill another bolt, say if it was M4 ?

I know that the syringe I aquired has an adapter for the end (if you look at the pic you can see 2 of them in the body of the syringe) So am assuming I could fit these to a smaller size hole?

Hope it helps. . . .

For the Shimanos, just remove the orange thing and the drilled out bolt. The tubing would slip over the bleed nipple (hehe, "nipple").

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This all sounded good until I got to the part about drilling a hole through threaded rod. Not many folks could get that right. I paid the $20 shipped Ebay price for 2 syringes with proper threaded ends. DOT4 is $4 per 12oz. (mineral oil for Shimano of course) .That'll bleed Avid brakes 40 times for $24 US dollars. That's hard to beat.

SS Killa
    May 2010
    I like it! Theres dedication to the cause!

The bolt was clamped with the top x facing upwards and I justed eyed it - it did take 2 attempts but yeah I saved a few dollars! Did I mwntion I cut the top off with an axle grinder too?? SORRY IF I DIDNT . . .

I suppose with some imagination it would be possible to service all kinds of brakes like this. . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moteor View Post
    Hi hello and thankyou for looking at my first post.

As a big believer in a bit of do it yourself, and saving a few quid ($), ~I though of a better way to spend /$ 20 than sending to the manufacturer of our beloved disk brake manufacturers! I have a pair of Magura Julies and a pair of Shimano Deors - not great but I am poor! I thought to get the brakes serviced I would have to spend some to get a tiny bottle of fluid and an easy ride - but why do it the easy way!

I made my own bleed kit by visiting a car garage, and a pharmacy! Here's what I did:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG02.jpg 
Views:	3480 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	547114

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG01.jpg 
Views:	2534 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	547115

1) I visited the pharmacy or drug store for a large syringe ( they cost me a donation to the local charity) although you may need to pay them.

2) Then to the local car garage for some more supplies! I bought a length of windscreen washer hose (M5) and a bottle of mineral oil.

3) WARNING - To void your brake warranty allways fill your brakes with non - specific random oil - a sure way to get rid of that pesky manufacturers guarantee!! so always use the Manufacturers recomended oil, unless you care less or the waranty is expired and your feeling adventurous . . .

4) I use the automobile trades own oil for my brakes - I think as a rule most use mineral oil because the DOT Type can be corrosive, but have a look for a suitable replacement online, to see what peops have done with theirs. Personally I am using Ferodo LHM+ Mineral Fluid for Hydraulic Systems, compatible for Citroen, also Jaguar oil is good too I've heard.

5) I used the red cap from a tube of UniBond sealant, like the ones you use in a skellington gun. I also used a 5M standard thread bolt, and drilled a 3M hole through it with my hand drill. I clamped it in a vice and then drilled through the middle and ground off the head. This gave me the sized fitting for the bleed valve screw.

I stuck it all together and ended up with a bleed kit that is really great, and for the same price I have a load more oil to flush out the system properly!

Thankyou for your interest!
    Anyway you could throw me a link to where I can find the syringe to fit the 2mm hosing?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Any photo of the DIY bleed kit?

Members who have read this thread: 14