Disk brake system small advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Disk brake system small advice

Hi everybody!
    Just decided to give up on my existing Avid Elixir 5 brakes and switch to mechanical BB7. The reason is quite common, such as insufficient pad clearance/non-adjustable pad. I simply got tired looking for tricks & tips and searching on many forums.
    They are nice brakes overall but I lost patience searching for the 'ideal' setup procedure and lost too much time doing trial & error. I mean every time I have to change the tires I start worry asking myself if the brake setup is going to last for a 5 minutes or 2-3 hours. I think it's enough.

I'd like to know if the following items are enough for doing the switch and will provide me in the end a decent disk brake set: 2xAvid BB7 (185mm front/160mm rear), one pair Avid Speed Dial SL levers and Jagwire Ripcord L3.
    My budget is around 150 euros, this setup exceeds a bit (7 euros) but is fine.

Thx and a Happy New Year to everybody!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "I'd like to know if the following items are enough for doing the switch and will provide me in the end a decent disk brake set: 2xAvid BB7 (185mm front/160mm rear), one pair Avid Speed Dial SL levers and Jagwire Ripcord L3.
    My budget is around 150 euros, this setup exceeds a bit (7 euros) but is fine."

Yup, that should be all you need. Just a suggestion, the Speed Dial 7 lever is pretty much the same lever at a considerably lower price. The only difference between the SD7 and SDSL levers is about 25g in weight, $35.00 in price, an aluminium lever blade instead of magnesium, and the color. Just depends on which is more important to you, 25g or staying within the budget. Your call.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thx, Squash!
    I just placed my order, went for 203mm front/160mm rear.
    Last edited by chipuc; 01-06-2011 at 10:05 AM.

TRANCER
    Wanna sell your Avids?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I might sell it but unfortunately I live in Europe.

TRANCER
    Lol its cool man. Id like to know why some people either have great luck with their Avids or really bad luck with them. I'm wondering if that has something to do with set up? Maybe where they are assembled? Etc. I just find it difficult to understand why its either one extreme or the other.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yeap, you're right and this is my feeling too! For example I had no issue with the rear brake, managed to do a nice setup every time in like 5 min. On the other hand, the front brake was driving me crazy. Sometimes I needed to spend more than 1 hour.
    It's a lottery.

Members who have read this thread: 0