Thread: Disc or V?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Disc or V?

So since im new to this ive got to ask all the redundent questions, so here goes. Am i better off with disc brakes or v-brakes ( i believe theyre called)?

So on my diamondback response im running the v brakes and I was just on a pretty hairy trail today with a pretty far drop on one side, rocks and roots all over the place and a pretty steep descent (at least for me) and i was riding the back brakes a lot since i didnt really want to get into the fronts too much and risk going over the handlebars. I noticed they were starting to fade and not be as effective right when i needed them.

Whats the differences between the two and what does everyone recommend? And do they make conversion kits to go to disc brakes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    1. you are supposed to use your front more than the back, they give you more stopping power.

2. You need to make sure your bike cant ake disc brakes

3. If it cant, you may have to buy a new frame, fork, wheelset, and then the brakes.

In conclusion, check to see if your hubs have six holes on the left side, and your fork has mounting holes, go to pricepoint, and look at the disc brakes scroll down to the link that tells you what mount you have

EDIT: sorry double post
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    1. you are supposed to use your front more than the back, they give you more stopping power.

2. You need to make sure your bike cant take disc brakes

3. If it cant, you may have to buy a new frame, fork, wheelset, and then the brakes.

In conclusion, check to see if your hubs have six holes on the left side, and your fork has mounting holes, go to pricepoint, and look at the disc brakes scroll down to the link that tells you what mount you have
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Not knowing much about your bike, wheel and fork setup, I'll latch on to what MB41 posted (twice ) and suggest a few additional thoughts:

1b. Get comfortable with your front brake. Your rear brake has its purpose, but the front ought to be primary in most circumstances. Work on modulating it and keeping your weight low and back, as necessary, to prevent going OTB. You'll stop faster and with more control.

2/3b. If you still want more from your brakes, consider just a front disc. The rear V is sufficient for most. Assuming your fork has disc mounts, upgrading to a front-only disc is cheaper, lighter, and you'll still get the majority of disc-braking benefits compared to adding front + rear discs.

4. What surprised me most when I first rode discs (front disc/rear V setup) was the increased control, which came in the form of precise modulation. It was eye opening.

You can get a front BB7 setup for $60 or less, assuming you have a disc compatible fork and wheel. If you need a front wheel, I see BlueSky has a decent Deore/Mavic for $45, and there are similar deals elsewhere.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry, i purchase a diamondback response 08 the other week.

Im going to check on the return policy at the dicks i bought it at and maybe trade it up for a Ironhorse warrior 1.3.

Members who have read this thread: 0