Disc rubbing on pads, help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Disc rubbing on pads, help

Hayes El camino, about 4 years old, I took out the pads and tried pushing the pistons back in, but it didnt make a big difference, there is still a lot of friction. Any ideas on a fix? They were bled not too long ago. Pads are fine. THANKS

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Its because you need to re-center your caliper over your rotor.

Loosed mounting bolts, squeeze lever with wheel in, tighten mounting bolts while holding the squeeze.

Or one of your pisonts are stuck...do they both move in an out evenly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    when I tried to push in the pistons with a box wrench, I would push one side in and the other side did seem to come out a little bit. So , I guess no????

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    "Its because you need to re-center your caliper over your rotor."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Also make sure that your quick release or axle is properly secure/tight. If they are, then check play in the hub when you move your wheel side to side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles
    Also make sure that your quick release or axle is properly secure/tight. If they are, then check play in the hub when you move your wheel side to side.
    To add to this, if I may: release the quick release and pull up on the wheel to ensure that it is properly centered in the drop outs. Then tighten the QR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Check QR tightness, loosen up the QR and roll it back and forth with weight on it. Tighten QR.

If that fails, recenter the caliper, loosen the caliper, business cards on both sides of rotor between rotor and pad, apply brake pressure, retighten caliper, remove cards.

Members who have read this thread: 0