Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008

Disc Newb with a few Qs

So I've just recently purchased a Specialized Rockhopper Disc 08. This is my first time having disc brakes, and I'm quite impressed with them so far. However I've got a few questions.

How can I wear in these brakes? I've heard there is a break-in period. Regular riding? Or should I do high speed stops?

Do I need to "pump" the brakes like a car without ABS?

Will I experience "brake-fade" as the rotors warm on serious downhill?

Can I warp the rotors with excessive heat? I'm one and a half times Clyde, so I'm sure I could build up a decent amount.

When will I know if my rotors/pads need changing?

Thanks ahead of time,
    Jon!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by djcornbread
    How can I wear in these brakes? I've heard there is a break-in period. Regular riding? Or should I do high speed stops?
    Either will work, if you JRA, it will take longer. Try a search - there's many topics covering bedding in pads

Do I need to "pump" the brakes like a car without ABS?
    No...I mean, I guess you could...but you don't really need to pump the breaks in a car without ABS either (panic stop or on ice, maybe) but its better to just control the modulation. If the brakes are locking up, you're just squeezing too hard.

Will I experience "brake-fade" as the rotors warm on serious downhill?
    Its possible depending on the length/steepness of the hill and how much you're riding the brakes. Factors like your size and rotor size also come into play. Larger rotor will exhibit less fade. Also, certain rotors are better than others - YMWV

Can I warp the rotors with excessive heat? I'm one and a half times Clyde, so I'm sure I could build up a decent amount.
    Possible, but doubt it. If you're a clyde, you might want to consider moving from a 160mm (assuming thats what you have stock) to a 185mm or 205mm rotor to help with fade, heat dissipation, power. The max rotor size depends on your fork specs - check with the manuf. for the max recommended rotor size. Most forks can take a 185MM without issue.

When will I know if my rotors/pads need changing?
    Visual inspection.

Welcome to the boards, try the search function, remember that there's a lot of sarcastic jagoffs on here and enjoy.

-jon
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

jcaino pretty much hit it...

right no the head. Rule of thumb for pad wear is pretty simple. It's usually best to pull the pads to ispect for wear, easier to see. The rule is, if the brake pad (including backing plate) measures 3mm thick or less it's time to replace them. This works for most brakes, but it's always best to check with the brake manufacturer and see what their reocmmendations are. Also it helps to have a new set of pads on hand to compare them to. And it can save a ride. I've had instances where I've neglected to check the pads for a while and decided that I should the night before a big ride and found the pads in serious need of replacement. To the point that it well could have been detrimental to use them on a long ride. Fortunately I had the spares on hand so no problem.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0