disc brake tab- Mtbr.com

Thread: disc brake tab

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

disc brake tab

Ok so I just had my frame powdercoated, after all the instruction I gave which is to plug in all the holes that have threading on it, he forgot to cover the disc brake tabs. Now my disc brake tab on the frame have no threading whatsover. It is smooth with no threads!
    Don't get me wrong the flat black looks awesome on it. But the thread is gone!!!

Anyway, is there anyway or is it even possible to resurface/rethread/face the disc brake tabs? If so what is the proper term for it so when I go to my LBS I won't look like a dumba$$ trying to explain it. Thanks ahead of time.

Meh.
    Um... disc brake tabs don't have threads unless it's post mount.

For IS tabs, the caliper/adapter is threaded, NOT the tab.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Um... disc brake tabs don't have threads unless it's post mount.

For IS tabs, the caliper/adapter is threaded, NOT the tab.

Yeah yeah laugh it off buddy!!! I totally spaced out on this one. I have only installed disc brakes once. I totally forgot that there is the CPS mount bolt that fasten everything together. I felt dumb posting this. ahahahahah...

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by dbong87
    Yeah yeah laugh it off buddy!!! I totally spaced out on this one. I have only installed disc brakes once. I totally forgot that there is the CPS mount bolt that fasten everything together. I felt dumb posting this. ahahahahah...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dbong87
    Not an uncommon mistake. We actually get the question, "If there aren't any threads in there, how can I install my disc brakes.", about once a season at the shop.

But on a more serious note. If you just had the frame powder coated it would be a good idea to have the tabs faced. That will remove any excess coating on the tabs and make brake set up easier. The extra thickness of powder coat on em can make things difficult.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    Not an uncommon mistake. We actually get the question, "If there aren't any threads in there, how can I install my disc brakes.", about once a season at the shop.

But on a more serious note. If you just had the frame powder coated it would be a good idea to have the tabs faced. That will remove any excess coating on the tabs and make brake set up easier. The extra thickness of powder coat on em can make things difficult.

Good Dirt
    Yes I will take it to REI to have one of my buddy look at it and see if it needs to be faced. I will post some pictures when I can, this week is dead-week, next is finals week! yay school

Members who have read this thread: 0