Disc brake mount tabs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Disc brake mount tabs

Hi, I have an early 90's Trek 7000 aluminum frame and want to put disc brakes on the rear. Is there pre-made weld on mount tabs available for this or do I have to make my own? I have a welder that I work with and is an excellent aluminum welder. Thanks. Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    yes, i have seen it at CBO, but it might take some searching, also, u might want to triangulate the rear stays on that side, that bikes stays probably arent designed to take the added stress of a disc setup.

It's soil, not dirt!
    You may want to put a post in the Frame Building forum, one of those guys can probably point you to a supplier and a good process for getting the placement and alignment right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My '94 Trek 7000 has a bonded aluminum frame. The dropouts appear to be bonded as well, but I don't know this for a fact. If your dropouts are bonded, I would expect welding in the area will destroy the adhesive bond and you will be in the market for a new frame.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all the help guys..also for the bonded frame issue!! That would be good to know..I was planning on stripping the frame and polishing it. So maybe I will look for another frame anyway. Chris

mtbr member
    check into the A2Z adapters & there's also brake therapy

Members who have read this thread: 0