Difference between Formula Oro K18s and K24s?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Difference between Formula Oro K18s and K24s?

I'm thinking bout going hydraulic. Been using BB5's for a while now, looking at the Formula Oro's. Could anybody tell me exactly what the difference is between these two sets of brakes? What would I be gaining by choosing the K24s over the K18s? Is it as simple as Juicy 5s vs Juicy7s where its pretty much just ease of adjustment? Weight differnece? Any info would be great. Also people who have used either one before, what do you think of them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodnreel729
    I'm thinking bout going hydraulic. Been using BB5's for a while now, looking at the Formula Oro's. Could anybody tell me exactly what the difference is between these two sets of brakes? What would I be gaining by choosing the K24s over the K18s? Is it as simple as Juicy 5s vs Juicy7s where its pretty much just ease of adjustment? Weight differnece? Any info would be great. Also people who have used either one before, what do you think of them?
    The difference between the K24 and K18 is the same as the difference between the J7 and J5 - the K24 has the adjustment. That's it, nothing else (unless you want to include appearance ..... just colour difference). I guess the K18 will be a few grams lighter, but it's not a great deal of difference.

I've been on K24s for about 5 months now. LOVE them. Easy to set up, easy to use and I appreciate having the adjustability. I believe i'm spoiled.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    K24s are nice. the adjuster is useful. gives you some adjustment to the dead space in the lever travel. thus you can make both lever feel like they engage the brakes at the same lever travel.

is it 100% necasary.... no. but it is nice, and I do tweak it. and I'll tweak it during the ride to change my hand position, to help eliminate some hand fatigue.

FYI, either formula is a great choice..... I went from avid bb7 to hayes mag9. which was a big improvement, then El Camino's(weak), then the K24...wow, the K24 are so much better then the hayes....so much better, that I immediately got a second set of formula k24s for my other bike. now my hayes brakes are in a shoe box.

the formula are affected by wet conditions, but even at their worst.... they are as good or better then the hayes at their best.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Anyone compared the Oros to the Juicys? I'm not that impressed by the Juicys, but the Oros have gotten fantastic reviews. I'm pretty sure Formula designed the Juicy for Avid.....

Members who have read this thread: 0