Crashing and Rotors- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Crashing and Rotors

Had my first crash on my new bike and the rotor was bent to heck. Wheel would not even turn and had to carry the bike out of the trail. Is there a field expedient repair for such a problem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prcharlie
    Had my first crash on my new bike and the rotor was bent to heck. Wheel would not even turn and had to carry the bike out of the trail. Is there a field expedient repair for such a problem?
    carry an extra rotor in your bag lol

mtbr member
    A stick or any long object will allow you to bend the rotor. You can true it right on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Unbolt the caliper and hang it out of the way with tape or a zip tie.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I carry a 6" adjustable wrench with me in my pack. It's smaller and lighter than it sounds, and has proved useful many a time. Perfect for straightening derailleur hangers, rotors and unbolting things that require use of a wrench.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

ballbuster
    Remove the rotor, and ride very gently with one brake to limp home. Most multi-tools these days have a torx wrench included.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson
    A stick or any long object will allow you to bend the rotor. You can true it right on the trail.
    This is ridiculous.

A small adjustable wrench will do the trick on the trail, but pick up a rotor truing tool. Park makes a nice one that's relatively cheap and works a bit better for truing the rotor when you get home and have it up on a stand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie
    This is ridiculous.

A small adjustable wrench will do the trick on the trail, but pick up a rotor truing tool. Park makes a nice one that's relatively cheap and works a bit better for truing the rotor when you get home and have it up on a stand.

Meh, not really. You can easily hand bend (yes your hands) a rotor true enough to ride a bike out of a trail. It's been done many times.

TRANCER
    Meh, not really. You can easily hand bend (yes your hands) a rotor true enough to ride a bike out of a trail. It's been done many times.
    I agree. When i first got my bike i went otb on my 1st ride and i bent my rear rotor to the point where the wheel would not turn for anything. I took the rear wheel off and bent the rotor back with my hands. Its not as hard as people think it is.
    Ride

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Very true. There's certainly something to be said for the MacGuyver approach to fixing a bike! I just find that a rotor truing tool comes in handy and doesn't take up much room in a pack.

Bent rotors on the trail are the worst. They usually seem to come when you're having the most fun too.

meow meow
    yeah, thats what ive always done. just get a straight enough to ride out and get it perfect latter.

Members who have read this thread: 0