Cooked my brakes, lever goes to bar.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Cooked my brakes, lever goes to bar.

Well, i was going down a fairly steep descent and i noticed an odd burning smell. Sure enough, my rear rotor was blue and my brake lever was going awfully close the bar before the pads made contact with the rotor.

I'm thinking that part of the problem was my organic EBC brake pads being used with 185mm rotors on a DH bike with a 230 lb rider. Would that be a good assumption?

My other question is, I could feel the lever slowly coming closer to the bar, and now it stays that way (it gets close to the bar before the pads make contact with the rotor)
    Do i just need to give them a bleed? I didn't see any fluid leakage at the lever or caliper.

Oh, the brakes are Avid Juicy 5s... and i'm thinking about Codes and 203mm rotors when i can scrape the money together.

ol' dusty lungs
    my guess is that you went so hard you boiled the fluid in your calipers and now there's gas in your system. bleed should help.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    alright, i'm gonna go bleed them now, would EBC red pads help? i have the Green ones as of now.

Thanks!

ol' dusty lungs
    i don't know. personally, i would use sintered pads. less fade, more stopping power and they will last much longer, especially if you're doing that much braking. larger rotors will definitely help. also, if you're using dot 4 fluid doing a full bleed with dot 5.1 should help.

work on braking technique too... you don't want to be dragging both brakes all the way down the hill.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yeah, i deffinatly want bigger rotors, and i am running dot 5.1 so hopefully that isn't the problem... maybe theres a little dot 4 left in the system from when i bought the brakes?

Braking technique... well, i could probably improve in that area, but this particular trail has sections that require heavy brake use, otherwise your just begging to get thrown OTB... I'm guessing that better brakes would solve that problem.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Awesome! Brake works like normal again! There was an unbelieveable ammount of gas in the system, it filled 1/3 of a syringe!

mtbr member
    I had the same problem in my truck; pulling a trailer on I70 through Summit County.
    Stopped at a grocery store in Frisco. Came out and brake pedal went to the floor.

Bled them in the parking lot and all was good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar
    I had the same problem in my truck; pulling a trailer on I70 through Summit County.
    Stopped at a grocery store in Frisco. Came out and brake pedal went to the floor.

Bled them in the parking lot and all was good.
    The key is to downshift when you hit the Eisenhower and use engine braking to keep your speed constant down the hill. If your speed goes up about 5mph, stab the brakes gently until you slow down 5mph... repeat.

You were lucky to get stopped in Frisco, glad you made it OK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moondawg14
    You were lucky to get stopped in Frisco, glad you made it OK.
    Tell me about it. I was somewhat loaded:

Losing the brakes on the highway would have brought lots of ugly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    EGADS MAN. I guess if you lost brakes, you could have coasted to a stop........... In Grand Junction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moondawg14
    EGADS MAN. I guess if you lost brakes, you could have coasted to a stop........... In Grand Junction.

Members who have read this thread: 0