Constant Brake Ajustment- Mtbr.com
    EastBaySteez

Bonking ... not feelin' well Constant Brake Ajustment

I have Hayes 9 brakes. I know.... Ok my question is well I have to explain first

When I'm done with my ride, I take the front wheel off so I can put my bike in the back of my car. I know! crazy talk. I get home put the rim back on and low and behold the rotar is rubbing one of the pads... Then there is the 10 mins to center the rotar in the caliper... Is there any way I can avoid this process? Without taking the rim off for transport. Its just getting kind of annoying
    I know is has to do with the unscrewing of the quick release, should I just spin it X ammount of times from both sides and then screw it back on with the same ammount of turns? idk... Im very frusterated. I didnt have this problem with my last bike.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

-> SickLines.com <-
    If you're having problems, they make things called quick nuts if you want to run one.

It replaces your quick release bolt with one that has an allen bolt on the back side of the bolt. Perfect tightening every time. you should be able to pick some up at your bike store i would think.

https://www.1upusa.com/quicknuts.html

EastBaySteez
    Thats preaty nifty I see a christmass present !!
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Old man on a bike
    If you paint the non-braking part of your rotors red I understand your brakes work much better
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I have Hayes 9 brakes. I know.... Ok my question is well I have to explain first

When I'm done with my ride, I take the front wheel off so I can put my bike in the back of my car. I know! crazy talk. I get home put the rim back on and low and behold the rotar is rubbing one of the pads... Then there is the 10 mins to center the rotar in the caliper... Is there any way I can avoid this process? Without taking the rim off for transport. Its just getting kind of annoying
    I know is has to do with the unscrewing of the quick release, should I just spin it X ammount of times from both sides and then screw it back on with the same ammount of turns? idk... Im very frusterated. I didnt have this problem with my last bike.
    Make sure the wheel is seated correctly in the fork dropouts.

EastBaySteez
    Seated correctly? how can it not be? :|
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Old man on a bike
    Because there's seemingly only a difference between having your wheel on and off for your transportation issues. Most logical explanation is that you had the wheel poorly seated in the dropouts when you "adjusted" things (whether before or after is hard to tell).
    suum quique

EastBaySteez
    I only adjust the caliper once the quick release is on tight, I think I'm having trouble because the tightening is unequal every time I put on the wheel.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Old man on a bike
    Any play in your hub? Why do you not tighten the qr equally each time?
    suum quique

EastBaySteez
    Another thing is that my brake pads might and probably are to close together. Because of that I think Its happening. Does the credit card thing really work you slide them on either side of the brake rotor and then depress the lever a few times? I think Im going to buy a set of quick nuts anyways.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Old man on a bike
    Not sure what the credit card thing is. Do you put a shim into the caliper to prevent your pads from repositioning while the wheel is out (i.e. if you accidentally pull the brake lever while the wheel is out)? Have you tried to just spread your pads out a bit?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah I have had this problem as well. with Hayes Soles. I just have to take it of and wiggle it and then tighten back up, tow or three tries and I get it (daughters bike).

I havn't figured it out but I'm thinking the powercoat chips off and if a hunk gets caught then you have it.

Explaination doesn't feel right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Seated correctly? how can it not be? :|
    Believe me, it can. The wheel could be cocked slightly.

Members who have read this thread: 0