Colored rotor bolts- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609

    Colored rotor bolts

    I have seen some bikes with colored brake rotor bolts, and it looks pretty cool.
    I assume they are anodized aluminum.
    So I ordered some from Torontocycles.com. On their website, they don't call them rotor bolts, but they are the right size and have the torx head.
    So, after I ordered them, I started thinking that they probably don't call them rotor bolts for liability reasons, since they are aluminum in a rather high stress area.

    Are the bikes I have seen actually using anodized aluminum rotor bolts, and is it safe to do so?

  2. #2
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I have seen some bikes with colored brake rotor bolts, and it looks pretty cool.
    I assume they are anodized aluminum.
    So I ordered some from Torontocycles.com. On their website, they don't call them rotor bolts, but they are the right size and have the torx head.
    So, after I ordered them, I started thinking that they probably don't call them rotor bolts for liability reasons, since they are aluminum in a rather high stress area.

    Are the bikes I have seen actually using anodized aluminum rotor bolts, and is it safe to do so?
    i'm pretty sure what you saw are anodized ti bolts...i've never personally seen alu. rotor bolts but that doesn't mean they don't exist

    i would personally never use aluminum in that location for more than one reason. although truthfully you'll probably not have any issues.

    edit: just noticed that they do in fact carry alu. "rotor bolts".
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmike0311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    87
    Have you thought about having your bolts anodized locally? I don't think I'd gamble on using bolts that are not specifically designed for brake rotors. There's a local place where I live that will anodize an entire hardtail frame for about $100.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday

    edit: just noticed that they do in fact carry alu. "rotor bolts".

    Who is they?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike0311
    Have you thought about having your bolts anodized locally? I don't think I'd gamble on using bolts that are not specifically designed for brake rotors. There's a local place where I live that will anodize an entire hardtail frame for about $100.
    Well, I assume my current bolts are steel, and you can't anodize steel. I thought about painting them but the color would probably scratch just from tightening.

  6. #6
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Who is they?
    LOL

    um...i suppose torontocycles, as you mentioned...


    honestly the chances of all 6 bolts failing simultaneously are not good. ride em hard and report back!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    169
    Anodized Stainless Steel Rotor Bolts...
    http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=2840

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by edzwa
    Anodized Stainless Steel Rotor Bolts...
    http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=2840
    Hmm, so, I guess you can anodize stainles???? I checked a few websites that say you can't, and I read in another that it is often done by depositing a thin aluminum coating first, and its not so durable, but anyway......
    That makes me more wary of my aluminum bolts, as the colored rotor bolts I have seen on other bikes may not have been aluminum at all....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I have seen some bikes with colored brake rotor bolts, and it looks pretty cool.
    I assume they are anodized aluminum.
    So I ordered some from Torontocycles.com. On their website, they don't call them rotor bolts, but they are the right size and have the torx head.
    So, after I ordered them, I started thinking that they probably don't call them rotor bolts for liability reasons, since they are aluminum in a rather high stress area.

    Are the bikes I have seen actually using anodized aluminum rotor bolts, and is it safe to do so?
    I am the idiot who strarted this thread, so I figured I better put in a public service anouncement here:
    Don't use aluminum bolts for rotor bolts!
    I installed a rotor a couple of months ago and came up one bolt short, so I grabbed one of the anodized aluminum bolts I had for the 6th hole. I figured 1 aluminum bolt isn't going to cause a failure with 5 steel bolts in there.
    I was right, it didn't cause a failure, but the head of the aluminum bolt sheared right off, even with 5 steel bolts holding that rotor tight. If all 6 bolts were aluminum, I am fairly certain that rotor would rip right off the hub.

    My colored aluminum bolts that look like rotor bolts work great for water bottle mounting bolts. That's all.

  10. #10
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,430
    Get anodized titanium rotor bolts.


    http://www.imperialbikeco.com/produc...tml?fullSite=1

  11. #11
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,005
    For the cheapest & easiest way to color bolt heads click here.

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.