cold temps and magura- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cold temps and magura

well, now the front mastercyclinder has started leaking after several rides in temps in the teens (F). the rear developed a problem 2 weeks ago and just received replacement from Magura.

anyone experience this same problem? is this a known problem? last year had a problem with my hayes but that was contaminated fluid. the spare Hayes I'm using on my "magura bike" has been working fine.

XCdude

How cold, also from where is leaking

Quote Originally Posted by dang
    well, now the front mastercyclinder has started leaking after several rides in temps in the teens (F). the rear developed a problem 2 weeks ago and just received replacement from Magura.

anyone experience this same problem? is this a known problem? last year had a problem with my hayes but that was contaminated fluid. the spare Hayes I'm using on my "magura bike" has been working fine.
    I been riding with my maguras for over a year, even in the cold but out here in san diego is not really that cold 40s maybe. If guess if the master cylinder is overfill, and it got cold enough it could expand a little, even tho I doubt that. Because I raced motorcycles at around 18 degrees and with windchill it was like 10 below zero and the fluids were all fine.
    The magura blood in non hydroscopic, so I doubt the freezing part.

Bodhisattva
    Have ridden my Maggies many times in sub-freezing temps...

and haven't had any problems. 10 above, 20 above and no problems. Are you using the newer Royal blood mineral oil?

Magura guarantees the system to be leak-free so I'd give them a call or email:

lonnie@magurausa.com or jimi@magurausa.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it's leaking right around the small black piston. same thing happened to the rear 2 weeks ago.lever started going to the bar so I thought I had to bleed it and did but no improvement.then I saw the fluid.

the fluid I have doesn't say royal purple. it's blue and just say Magura blood.

Magura just sent my LBS, for me, a new master cylinder. won't start using it until it warms up.

thanks guys.

I just started feeling old . I think I've been thinking too much about being over 4 decades old

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dang

We've been riding Magura's down to -25C (-13F) and they have worked fine. Common problems we have encountered sporatically with all brands are sticky slave pistons - usually due to seals that were too stiff. With Magura's, we've had a few master cylinders get sticky on the Clara models (plastic master housing). The nice thing about Magura is that they are excellent at replacing anything that is not working properly - try that with Hayes (when we first got sticky slave pistons with Hayes, they told us nobody should ride in sub-freezing temps...) I've heard that Formula sercive in the US is equally good.

If you still have problems, get in touch with Loonie at Magura USA, they will fix you up. (If you are in US or Canada, that is....)

Cheers,

Tom

There's no app for this.

what he said...

I rode '00 Louise and '02 Gustavs for three winters in Vancouver, about the 32F mark give or take a few degrees. I never had a leak. Worst thing that happened was squawking when crossing thru cold mountain streams or the like, but I was not alone...the Hopes and Hayes on fellow riders' bikes were equally racketous (new word).

Jim MCM #11

Members who have read this thread: 1