Code R's too much braking rear braking power?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Code R's too much braking rear braking power?

I just changed the brakes on my 2008 Giant Trance X1 from Hayes Stroker Rydes to Avid Code R's. The bike shop installed 185mm rotors and on the front rear brakes.

I haven't taken the bike offroad but on the asphalt the results have been mixed. There's a hill behind the bike store and the front brakes have good stopping power but the rear brakes are an utter disaster. Anything more than a very light touch of the rear brake results in immediate lock up.

I've been thinking of reducing the rear rotor to 160 or even a 140mm, from what I understand a 185 rotor only has 15% more braking power than a 160mm rotor. However I feel that I need a 40-60% reduction in power to prevent brake lock.

However I haven't tested the bike on dirt and know that dirt and sand require different braking techniques versus asphalt/tarmac. What makes this situation so frustrating is that I would occaisionally experience the same problems with the Rydes on asphalt as well . For some reason I never had this problem on dirt.

I have a pair of Elixir R's on my Gary Fisher Rig and wonder if it's possible to switch the one of the Elixir R's onto the Trance X1 and replace the front brake on the Rig with a Code R lever/caliper comb. The Elixir's and Code R levers appear to symetrical.

(Edit* I forgot to mention that asphalt was wet when I tested these brakes.)

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I run 203 front and 160 rear to get a balance that feels right. FWIW.

Never trust a fart
    Take off the 185mm rotor and install a 160mm rotor on the rear. You will find more balance with this combo. I switched a few months ago to this setup and now I have more modulation on the rear brake, instead of excessive lockup I was getting with a 180mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Take off the 185mm rotor and install a 160mm rotor on the rear. You will find more balance with this combo. I switched a few months ago to this setup and now I have more modulation on the rear brake, instead of excessive lockup I was getting with a 180mm rotor.
    +1

I upgraded my brakes on my 2008 Trance X2 to elixir R. the rears came with 185 rotors and found the same issue. Had a 160mm rotor laying around and used that instead. def better balance...

Members who have read this thread: 0