Clicking sound from new rotor- Mtbr.com
    MEGALOMANIAC

Clicking sound from new rotor

I recently installed a set of Magura SL Storm rotors and while the rear is quiet, smooth and powerful, the front makes a clicking sound when brakes are applied at slow speeds which is more of a buzzing sound at high speeds.

The pads, Magura 6.1 performance pads, are also brand new. The lever is firm.

Brake power is also not great which is strange considering the front rotor is larger than the rear rotor.

I did bed the pads into the rotor as recommended by Magura. There is nothing unusual to be seen on the rotor surfaces. No dark spots, no uneven spots. Looks like the pads bedded perfectly on both sides.

I cleaned the rotor with rubbing alcohol and pulled the pads off for inspection. No glazing, no sign of contamination. I put it all back together and went for a normal ride which ends with plenty of braking. The clicking and buzzing continues...

I suspect a possible not-quite-level edge or edges on the rotor cut-outs.

What do you think????
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

MEGALOMANIAC
    UPDATE!!!

I have discovered that the lower portion of the outer pad is making first contact with the rotor on spokes area of the rotor, causing a clicking/buzzing/jutter. The pad is wearing evenly and there is no improvement when I switch the rear pads to the front.

This means that the piston is slightly off center. The pad on the other side of the caliper makes perfectly even contact on the rotor.

What causes the piston to be off center?

2010 Magura marta SL brakes

Help!!!

MEGALOMANIAC

New question here. Another Update and A Question

Another update:

I tried to sand down the pad at an angle. That did not help.

I then removed the caliper, inspected it closely for wears marks and found none. I then squeezed the levers a few times to push the pistons out a little to see if there was any build up that may have been causing the piston (on the side in question) to seat off camber. No build up.

I cleaned the caliper out carefully, installed brand new pads and then mounted/adjusted the caliper.

I then did a normal new pad bedding process and went for a ride that features a 3 mile steep downhill section.

For the first 3/4 of the decent, no noise! Unbelievable....but then, the buzzing (at high speeds) began to return. It seemed to get worse the more the brakes were used. However, it's no where near as bad as it was with the last set of pads (which were also new) or at least not yet. I can also say that the low speed clicking is not there at all....at least not yet.

One thing that I have noticed on both front and rear calipers:

One piston always seems to move out into the disc just a bit before the other piston does causing one pad to make contact first. I have my doubts that this could have something to do with the buzzing sensation I am getting out of the front brake since both brakes do this and the rear does not "buzz" at all when braking.

Question: Is it normal for disc brake calipers to have one piston that reacts ever so slighty sooner than the other piston?

Members who have read this thread: 0