Clarks Hydraulic Pads Securing Pin- Mtbr.com
    Site Owner

Clarks Hydraulic Pads Securing Pin

i have just put on Clarks Skeletal brake kit.

Out of curiosity i unscrewed the tiny pin that keeps the pads in place just to inspect the pads. i then screwed back up with an Allen key. The allen key head on the tiny pin is now rounded and i cannot access the pads when they will need replacing.

Any suggestions/ or has anyone experienced anything similar. This is my first experience with hydraulic brakes and i'm unsure whether this type of pin features on other manufacturers kits

Cheers
    Andrew

sm4
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    to remove out the pin try use (monkey plier) grip with the rod and turn anticlock wise.

sm4
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    one more thing your caliper not very central with rotor need to be fine tune.

Site Owner
    thanks for the tip. Yes the caliper was not centred when picture was taken. If you look to the right of the picture you'll notice a big electric motor and that the caliper is resting on it. It was a nightmare to sort with the space i had available. I had to put washers between the hub and the rotor disc and then file down the caliper mounting bracket to create 3 to 4 mm's of space to help the caliper clear the hub motor....... but that's another story!

One of the reasons for wanting to take out the pin is because the pads got dented when i had to prize apart the the pistons/pads to fit with the rotor.

Twisting out the pin may work, but the left side of the pin has a screw thread which may cause it to stay attached to the caliper.

sm4
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    left side pin got screw thread but the right side should be no thread. use plier gently twist
    the rod anticlockwise ( from bottom to top) (the rod was whole piece from rounded allen head until the thread was screw it at the left side) the rod will come out slowly from left thread when you twist it..

Site Owner
    that does make sense, and definately worth a go. All i will need then is a replacement pin. i suppose i will have to find a tiny split pin or nut n bolt

Andrew

Site Owner
    It worked a treat! the threaded part of the pin is actually on the right hand end of the pin and after half a dozen turns of a long nose pliers.

Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0