cheap rotors (alligator/delta)--any good?- Mtbr.com
    trail addict

cheap rotors (alligator/delta)--any good?

I am looking for a budget upgrade for my hardrock pro (bb5s and 6" rotors).

I'd like to get a little more power in the front, so I was shopping for a bb7 with 7" rotor (for the front only), which is looking like about $70.

Then I saw the adapters on pricepoint to run bigger rotors (like $10) and CHEAP rotors Delta Aztec ($15) and Alligator ($15).

That gives me the power of a 7" up front for only $25-but will I be happy with the cheap rotor? I am very happy with the bb5 calipers so far (I was only considering bb7 because I've heard they are slightly better in all ways-I thought that would be nice up front).

I guess what I am asking is-would this be a $25 mistake that would end up in the trash eventually--leaving me to buy the $70 brake set anyway?

Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    Well, I just bought 203mm Alligator wavy rotors for the front on two of my bikes. One bike has BB5s and one has BB7s. The quality looks good but so far I haven't put enough miles on either bike to tell you if they work any different, better or worse, than the originals.

My initial impression of the difference between the BB5 and BB7 is that the braking power is about the same. The difference is in the ease of setup and adjustment. The BB7 is much better there.

For the price of a caliper adapter and the disc, I thought it seemed like a cheap experiment. At least it put off the bigger investment for a while.

mtbr member
    We've been using the Delta 6", 7", & 8" rotors for a while (>1y) with no problems.

trail addict
    Thanks, I'll keep shopping for now (for bb7+185), but if I don't find a good deal I'll try just a larger front rotor.

Members who have read this thread: 0