Chain stay/ Seat stay QR Flex- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Chain stay/ Seat stay QR Flex

So, recently I bought a set of Hope Tech M4s. I love the brakes, they have oodles of power. The only problem, I can't perfectly centralize the caliper because my chainstay/seatstays flex so much that even when I have the caliper moved over to the maximum, it's not far enough to be central. Add to this the small amount of torque walk from tightening, and it becomes pretty significant how much closer the outer pad is compared to the inner pad.

Does anybody know how to fix this? It's a 2008 Enduro, and the hub is a Silver DT Swiss Hugi. Basically, it flexes about .5"-1" until it touches the hub flange/spacer. I'll try and snap a pic and get it on here, but was wondering if anybody has experienced this and knows how to fix it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    honestly, I've seen that much flex from a loose q/r on a hub that was SHOT and from a cracked frame

thats a ton of flex in a stay. whats not tight/whats broken

mtbr member
    May 2009
    +1, thats a huge ammount of flex!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    The way I see it right now, if my bike is too heavy, then I'm too weak!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Haha so maybe I over-exaggerated it, it's not flexing THAT much, but it's enough that it's causing the outside pads to be a little closer. I don't know why I thought it was flexing that much. I'm just annoyed because I'd like to get them perfectly centralized, because right now it's off enough that it's flexing the rotor into the inward pad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Try a through axle kit

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    are you pulling the brake lever to clamp onto the rotor before you tighten the caliper bolts?

also does the rotor rub the brake pad when you spin the wheel? if there is no rubbing then don't worry abut having them perfectly centred. if there rubbing in one spot that means your rotor is bent and should be trued.

Members who have read this thread: 0