Centerlock rotors vs 6-bolt rotors+CL adaptors?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Centerlock rotors vs 6-bolt rotors+CL adaptors?

Hi all,

It's time to replace some parts and I could really use some guidance right now. I have CL hubs and CL rotors right now, the brakes are Magura Martas. The rear 160mm rotor is busted - there is some play even when I hold the brakes. Anyway, it's time to replace it.

I've been looking at my options and I'm not sure whether to grab a Shimano CL rotor, or perhaps I should pair a Magura 6-bolt rotor with some CL to 6-bolt adapters this time? I could get a pair of adapters for a couple of bucks, and 6-bolt rotors are generally cheaper than CL rotors. But are there any performance disadvantages when compared to CL rotors?

If anyone has tried both systems, it would be grand if you could share your experience. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Wink

Well, 6bolt system is cheaper than centerlock system but they are both good.Buying an centerlock rotor is a waste of $$ because there is not a big difference between them. But if you spend a lots of money for the adaptors to mount a 6bot rotor better buy a centerlock rotor

Calculate 6bolt rotor+adaptors= less/more than a centrlock rotor

Centerlock rotor= less/more than these

If the 6bolt rotor and the adaptors are cheaper than a cnterlock rotor better buy them but if the opposite happens better buy a centerlock rotor

mtbr member
    they should cost about the same, but a bigger issue is that spider is different.

I haven't done any stress testing, but I would be concerned that this is not a good thing, and I'd suggest always using centerlock rotors on wheels that have centerlock hubs.

put it this way: it can't hurt to use the correct rotor. if you use a 6-bolt rotor with an adapter and it fails, it could hurt a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If your hub takes CL rotors, go with CL rotors without question.

You don't want to have an additional adapter, which is an additional point of failure. The less adapters/parts you have, the better it will be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The Best Option IS Shimano Deore SM-RT54 Centerlock Rotor

New Shimano Disc Brake Rotor SM RT54 s Center Lock for SLX Deore 160mm | eBay

The Cheaper