Catastrophic Failure Hayes 9 content- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Catastrophic Failure Hayes 9 content

So for the first time I had something really bad happen to my brakes on the trail.

I was flying downhill when all of the sudden my front brake pulled flush to the handlebars and I could taste something "metallic" in the air. I suffered the rest of the downhill with only a back brake, got to the bottom and took out my head lamp to diagnose.

The fastener that connects the hose to the main resivoir by the brake lever had come completely off. I have no idea how it happened (since it was dark) but my god brake fluid was everywhere.

I bleed my brakes all the time but I have a couple questions.

1. When adding the fluid back into the line, do I accomplish this the same way I bleed them or is there a faster way to fill the line and then let the air out?

2. What is used (can i use) to make sure that fastener never comes loose again.

I love these brakes. This is the first time (in three years) that I have had any problem out of the norm.

Thanks for any help! Yes I know I can go to the LBS but I am not going to. Why? Because they don't have a Hayes bleeding kit. That's why so don't even bring it up.

Peace!
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Fill the system the same way its blead; i.e. through the caliper. Fhat fitting must have not been very tight. I can't imagine mine coming loose.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't know hayes brakes, but I do know ferrules (olives).

When you set a ferrule in tubing, a feeler guage should be used to ensure the correct compression of the ferrule, and this controls how much it pinchs down on the tube, and hence how will it grabs the tube.

Torque does not always work cause any little misalignement can reduce the pinch effect.

I bet you need a new ferrule and also a new tube.

But has above i don't know if hayes has ferrules.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't had a chance to mess with the brake since the incident. Once I resolve everything I will post up the solution here.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Members who have read this thread: 0