Cant replace juicy 7 pads, pistons not retracting.- Mtbr.com
    siv
    mtbr member

Cant replace juicy 7 pads, pistons not retracting.

I first noticed that the piston closest to the wheel was stuck so I lossened that up. I still cant get the new pads in because both sides are sticking out a little to far. If I force one side in the other comes out. Does this mean I need to bleed them? Also. the adjust knob on the levers dont seem to do anything if you ask me. I figured you need to have them all the way out to put new pads in but while watching and turning the dial I noticed nothing happening in the caliper. Any thoughts for a guy with no juicy experience?

Bodhisattva
    It's possible that they were overfilled during initial bleed.

If you can't get the pistons to retract with the contact knob all the way out then I see no option other than a rebleed.

siv
    mtbr member
    If I take the pistons out and clean them off will I lose fluid? Will this maybe allow them to reccess all the way back in, ya know cause they were dirty? Just asking because I dont have a bleed kit and wouldnt do it today anyway.

Bodhisattva
    If you remove the pistons then you will lose fluid.

Only thing you can try is opening a bleed port with a small wrench and letting out a drop or two of fluid in hopes of avoiding a bleed although you could introduce air this way or let too much out.

I don't think dirty pistons are at play here.

Meh.
    Uhhh... The knob doesn't change the piston position. It just changes where the lever engages.

Sounds like the system is overfilled. Turn the lever perfectly parallel to the ground. Remove the bolt from the bleed port. With the bleed port open, push the pistons back into their bores. Any excess fluid should be pushed out.

siv
    mtbr member
    I did not know that, thanx! I will try the quick fix tonight.

Members who have read this thread: 0