Can you make your own Juicy 7 Bleed Kit??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Can you make your own Juicy 7 Bleed Kit??

I've been doing a little upkeep on my ride over the past couple of days and have decided my Juicy 7's are about ready for a bleed. I noticed that they have a "no drip" bleed feature which, as close as I can tell, means that Avid has found a buzz-word for "you have to buy our bleed kit on top of our already pricy brakes".

I've seen pictures online of the kit - I can buy DOT 4 fluid at Walmart, Syringes at a farm supply... but I can't find any detail on the screw in looking connectors that plug into the lever and caliper ports. Does anyone know what they are and where to get them? Has anyone built their own Juicy bleed kit? Is there a way to do it without the bleed kit that isn't too jurry rigged?

Thanks in advance

What Would Happen?
    I think the no-drip bit refers to the locking clamp on the hose between syringe and said clamp. The locking bits are easy to find.... however, maybe try looking for the little brass plug at an auto store?
    five minutes to live

Meh.
    Finding the little brass bit that threads into the bleed ports will probably be the hardest part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Finding the little brass bit that threads into the bleed ports will probably be the hardest part.
    True point... I'm hoping someone out there knows where I can get a hold of these fittings... I saw a "universal" non-Avid bleed kit and it appeared to have these fittings, so I don't think they are a propriatary Avid thing. I'm just not sure where else they may have application (automotive, etc...) and therefore, where to shop for them. I'm gona check the auto parts store today and if anyone else has any ideas, or knows where to get what I need, I'd love to hear from you.

mtbr member
    No one bleeds their Juicys without the Avid kit? What a bummer...

I checked Auto Zone for the brass adapter today and the salesman looked at me like I had 3 heads and a vestigial tail, so no luck there. I did see some hydraulic fittings at a farm supply store that had the right shape, but none in a small enough size...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was wondering precisely the same thing.
    None of the stores around here can even be bothered stocking the damned kit, for which they want AUD$55...

Going for a ride......
    If you think that's bad I saw a Magura bleed kit for $80 something Australian, maybe it was a glorified bleed kit as they called it a "maintenance kit".

I've heard of people knocking up a kit for Hayes but not for Juicies. At least the $$ outlay for the bleed kit is only once and not a continuous expense apart from brake fluid. Even so that's one of the reasons I chose to go with Simano brakes rather than Juicies or Maguras.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

just suck it up

It's only 30 bucks. You can't tell me that spending several days going from place to place trying to cobble together a set that works (and still spending 15-20 dollars for everything, plus gas $$) is easier than just ordering it off ebay? It is really quite easy to use and personally I'm glad Avid puts it all in a kit for me so I don't have to worry about it much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavisde
    It's only 30 bucks. You can't tell me that spending several days going from place to place trying to cobble together a set that works (and still spending 15-20 dollars for everything, plus gas $$) is easier than just ordering it off ebay? It is really quite easy to use and personally I'm glad Avid puts it all in a kit for me so I don't have to worry about it much.
    $.80 for 2 syringes
    $.10 for hose
    ?? Brass fittings... damned things
    $3.00 for brake fluid
    Sure, you could factor in time and gas but I'm out and about for other things anyway so its a non-issue.

Convenient or not, there is no way that kit is worth $30 + s/h. The only reason it is necessary is because the design of the brakes warrants a special fitting that only Avid seems to have, therefore they are free to charge an (for what the kit is) outrageous price.

My .02 on the subject anyway...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

or...

since these brakes really only need to be bled once, maybe it would be cheaper to borrow/buy used or even pay the shop to bleed them? (ok that last is probably more expensive) Sometimes I just think time IS worth money and fiddling with stuff like that seems worth 30 bucks.

Master of None
    Could you remove the reservoir cap and bleed it like a normal brake? I have some Juicy 5s and was thinking of shortening the rear hose.. But I'm a little uncertain that I can bleed it w/o the kit.

Anyone try it?

Meh.
    I don't think you can. I don't remember the issue. I know that I tried to do that once.

If you look at the Avid schematic, I'm sure it'll become pretty apparent as to why you can't do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not having looked at a hydraulic setup closely, I assume you are referring to a bleed port at the bottom of the caliper.

if so, all you probably need to do is get an assistant and keep forcing fluid out while you hold you finger tightly over the hole. This keeps it from sucking air back in while pumping the brake, then just keep adding fluid to the reservoir as you go.

Master of None
    I can't find a schematic. My guess would be that it would be tricky to get all the air out of the reservoir but I've never had problems with my Grimeca brakes and turning the bike upside down.

Most times I just gravity bleed my mtb / car / motorcycle brakes, sometimes I tap various components to loosen up the air bubbles.

Edit: I found the schematic:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...20Sramdocs.pdf

Members who have read this thread: 0