Can I use BMX levers on BB7 calipers on my MTB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Can I use BMX levers on BB7 calipers on my MTB

Hi, I have a problem with the usual levels used with the BB7. I have used XT levers and the usual Avid Speed Dial with the BB7 calipers and both just don't do it for me.

Not the fault of the levers, its my own fingers' fault. I've got really short index finger and am trying to accomplish one finger braking.... but I have a problem getting enough finger onto the brake to do an effective one finger braking.... have tried bringing in the levers as close to the handlebars as possible, BUT...its just not close enough still....

SO.... am wondering if the smaller BMX brake levers would do better and if they can be used together with the BB7 calipers???? Or is there any other levers out there that can bring the lever closer than what the speed dialor the XT ones can manage?

Thanks

Meh.
    You can use BMX levers with BB7 Road calipers.

Live 2 Ride
    Have you considered using the reach adjustment of the levers you have now?
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have adjusted the reach adjustment to the max and its still not anywhere close enough.... I just have to admit I have small hands and short fingers.....

I have still a bit of space in the front of my glove tips when I wear S.... thats how small my fingers and hands are....

BB7 road calipers???????

Is that any different from the BB7 that we all know and use on our MTBs? Thought therer was only one type of BB7 calipers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "Is that any different from the BB7 that we all know and use on our MTBs? Thought therer was only one type of BB7 calipers?"

Yes they are different. It has to do with the difference in the amount of cable that an MTB lever and a Road lever pull when the lever is squeezed. An MTB lever designed for linear pull brakes (v brakes) pulls more cable than a road, bmx, or cantilever brake lever. The mixing of the two cause problems.

The use of a BMX lever with your MTB BB7 brakes would give you a very touchy "light switch" type brake. They'd either be full on or off, no modulation. Using an MTB type v-brake lever with road, canti, or bmx brakes gives the oposite, mushy feel and low power.

But you do have to use caution when choosing a BMX lever. There are BMX style levers out there that are designed to be used with V-brakes and would be compatable with your current BB7s. They are usually designated as either "long pull" or "linear" brake levers. These would be compatable with your current brakes. Those that are designated as "short pull, or "u brake" compatable would require the use of the road model BB7.

The tough part is finding a long pull BMX lever that actually sits closer to the bar. They usually are about the same distance away as a standard MTB long pull lever. But the blades are often shorter, so that might help. But the shorter lever would require a firmer pull to get the same amount of stopping force out of the brakes.

Sorry, WAY too much information, I know. The bottom line is you have two choices. A linear or long pull BMX lever will work. You'll just have to do some cut and try to figure out which brand/model will work for you. Or you could go with the BB7 road bakes and short pull/U brake BMX levers. That'd be more expensive, but you'd be more likely to find levers that sit closer to the bar and the blades are usually shorter than the long pull models.

Anyway, your choice. Just start doing some shopping.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Woah man!!!

I didnt know that there was somuch to know about BMX levers and BB7 calipers....

Looks like I'll be doing some serious reading and shopping before I drop any cash on anything...

Thanks so much for the info Squash! You have been most helpful as I now know what to look out for...

Members who have read this thread: 1