Brakes for a new mojo hd build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brakes for a new mojo hd build

Hi all... IM building up a new bike and trying to figure out what brakes to get.. Ive been out of the sport for a few years and disk brakes were just starting to come on when i was last riding-- so thinkgs have changed a lot..

right now the two im looking at are the avid elixer Xo and the xtr trail disk brakes...

Any thoughts on either of these-- is there something else i should be looking at ? IM building up a mojo hd-- and im a pretty big guy -230ish.. I Trying to find good modulation mixed with power and quiet... Not really worried about price-- i just want to be happy.. Oh and if i could find a pair that werent tooooo heavy-- that would be nice..

rockhound
    Jul 2007
    Formula The One... expensive. But very strong, excellent modulation, and light.

I run these with 203mm rotor in front, and 180mm rotor in rear.

By the way, I have this setup on my Mojo HD. I love it. You won't be disappointed.

Avid Elixir CR came with the bike. But they just didn't cut it, and were replaced.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbaybotanist
    Formula The One... expensive. But very strong, excellent modulation, and light.

I run these with 203mm rotor in front, and 180mm rotor in rear.

By the way, I have this setup on my Mojo HD. I love it. You won't be disappointed.

Avid Elixir CR came with the bike. But they just didn't cut it, and were replaced.
    +1 they are awesome.

Or Magura Louise Bat carbon. won't be disappoint with that one either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Formula The Ones as above.

mtbr member
    wow-- everyone here likes the forumla the one-- yet i heard they are hard to setup and keep working smooth.. The elixers i was looking at was the new XO's... Anyone get a chance to try the 2011 of the XO's yet?

mtbr member
    I'd get Hopes. I'm loving my V2's which replaced my Fomula The Ones. The Ones were just too difficult to get consistant lever feel and replacement pads were never on stock all summer. I sent them back for a bleed as I thought I was doing something wrong, the diaphrams got replaced and they still had lever pull issues. I figured if the Folmula service guys can't get them right then what is the point of me keeping them and having issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have owned a few sets of hope brakes and really dont rate them. Ye they do the job but the MY10's are light years better than any offering hope have got on the market at the moment.

mtbr member
    Just wait until the lever slowly creeps closer and closer to the bar and then realize that the breath hole is leaking fluid onto your bars and eating the finish off of them. Then try to bleed them over and over again to realize that they will not work. Send them back and a few months later the same thing happens. Not to mention trying to gets pads in Canada was frustating considering that they go through pads quickly as they are small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Hope Tech M4s are far and away the best modulating brakes I've ever felt. The Ones are also great brakes, but I'm not a huge fan of the lever design, and I REALLY hate how formula got rid of lever reach and bite point adjustment; not everybody rides with their brakes in the same position, has the same hand size, or wants the same exact performance out of their brake but without these adjustments it seems Formula thinks that's the case.

rockhound
    Jul 2007
    The One MY10 does have reach adjust, but you need to use a hex key. I prefer to set and forget this one.

I agree that the lack of pad contact adjust is a bummer for some. However for 2011, the pad contact adjust will be available, and can be retrofitted to older MY10 models.

So lack of adjustments should not be a deterrent.

I don't know if the problems that fixbikeguy had occur with high frequency. But it is something to think about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have owned three sets of Formula brakes, including '09 Ones and over the long term the relationship suffered, too much lever travel and rapid pad wear among my complaints.

It is no surprise to me why Hope brakes are so popular, especially in the UK. They strike a great balance between pad life and feel. They are also anodised rather than painted, which means they age really well also.

My advice having owned eighteen (off the top of my head) sets of different disc brakes from various manufacturers, is to go with Shimano or Hope.

For a Mojo HD that would mean the new XTR, XT or Saint and Tech M4 or V2. Enjoy your great new bike!
    Last edited by A MAN CALLED HORSE; 12-06-2010 at 01:57 PM.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Formula is the 'One'

I have been riding Formula for 4 years and I have not had problems with the K24 or the original 'Ones'.
    The lever reach adjustment is still on the My Ones. Diggidy is a little confused as to what a bite point adjustment actually does. The bite point has nothing to do with actual braking power or modulation ie. performance. A bite point controls the timing of the contact to the pad so that the front and rear levers (longer hose) engage the pad at the same time. Frankly, the machining of the adjuster is beautiful, but I probably would not add the bite adjuster option on the current model, if it I ever have to upgrade. Your brain does the trick by feel of the brakes.
    More experience riders are unlikely to need it.
    Cheers,

Kane

Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    The Hope Tech M4s are far and away the best modulating brakes I've ever felt. The Ones are also great brakes, but I'm not a huge fan of the lever design, and I REALLY hate how formula got rid of lever reach and bite point adjustment; not everybody rides with their brakes in the same position, has the same hand size, or wants the same exact performance out of their brake but without these adjustments it seems Formula thinks that's the case.

Members who have read this thread: 0