Brakes dragging new-bee needs help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Brakes dragging new-bee needs help

I got a question for the brain-trust I recently purchased a new Felt Q520 with mechanical disc , I understand they will drag for about 10-12 miles but now the sound like they are warped. I ride what I think is aggressive is this possible, and how do I fix it I have about 60 miles on the bike and like it so far the bike shop I bought It at seems to think it is no big deal but I cant help but think it's not normal any advice would be great.

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    How badly are they dragging? If it is a significant amount of drag then the calipers probably need to be re-centered relative to the rotor; and then the pads need to be adjusted. If the drag is occasional and light then it might just be a pad adjustment issue. As a general rule of thumb, there should be enough clearance between the pad and rotor to fit a business/playing card between them. Another issue you may have is the rotor may be warped a small amount causing the occasional drag you speak of. If this is the problem you can re-true the rotor using a truing tool or crescent wrench. If none of these solutions seem to help a video of what is happening might help determine what is really going on.

I hope this helps out some.
    Don

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSSMAN
    I got a question for the brain-trust I recently purchased a new Felt Q520 with mechanical disc , I understand they will drag for about 10-12 miles but now the sound like they are warped. I ride what I think is aggressive is this possible, and how do I fix it I have about 60 miles on the bike and like it so far the bike shop I bought It at seems to think it is no big deal but I cant help but think it's not normal any advice would be great.

Brakes should not drag.

They do need to be set-up right.

Brakes take about 30 hard stops to burnish the pads up.

So if the brakes are dragging and you have made at least 30 hard stops, you need to get them adjusted...

First check the rotor is it straight (carefully eyeball it).

If not is the wheel solidly held in place (check quick release, and dropouts).

If the rotor is warped take it back and get a replacement on warranty, or the LBS may straighten it for you (not hard to do with three wrenchs).

Once you have a straight and true rotor go to the web site for instruction on how to align the caliper.

Then armed with that knowledge go back to the LBS and tell them to stop the damn thing from rubbing. see if you can watch the guy doing the work.

If they can't or won't help....

Then have at it, it really is quite easy.

Old man on a bike
    Your shop thinks a new disc brake rubbing is okay? Find a new shop. Properly set up they shouldn't drag (with the exception of some hydraulics that are designed that way, but that's rare). Can only assume your shop doesn't take the time to set them up properly and comes up with some bs instead (did they tell you the noise would go away in 10-12 miles?). While pad wear on a mechanical disc might make the noise go away eventually, doesn't mean they were setup correctly. Fortunately for you it's not rocket science and you can fix it yourself by going thru the possible issues.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for all the advice I actually took it to the shop today and they said they would look at it so maybe they will fix it if not I wont go back and I will fix it myself I guess I need to learn anyways . (yes they said it should drag for 10-12 miles)

Members who have read this thread: 0