Brakes decisions.

Building a new 29er HT up and am a littel stuck with picking a brakes

200lb rider rigid SS

My thoughts for complete brakes are

XT M775 wih 160mm rear 185mm front
    Formula Oro K18 or K24 with 160mm rear n front

Avid Juicy 5 with 160mm rear 185mm front
    Avid Elixer R with 160mm rear 185mm front
    Can anybody see a brake system here which stands out from good experience above?

I appreciate your input.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, be careful of humanitariens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    you could look at some hopes they are pretty cheap here http://aebike.com/product-list/hope-...2-m16748-qc30/

mtbr member
    Thanks,
    My only gripe with Hope is that when they brought the Mono series of brakes a few years back they all squealed like a squealing thing. And the power seemsed very on off.

Maybe thet was then and there brakes are alot better now?

Those X2 brakes do look very sweet

Are they good?

mtbr member
    Tell me are Hayes Stroker any good?
    They have a few different models. I only had HFX-9 years ago that wernt great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i dunno but they sure are cheap at jenson you can grab stroker trails for like $70 http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...aging+09.aspx/

mtbr member
    Just done some more homework.
    The Hayes are out of the question.

The Hope x2's look the goods. Especialy at that price there micro224.

I've since narrowed down

Hope X2 185mm fr 160mm rear
    Xt 775's 185mm fr 160mm rear
    Formula ORO K18 180mm fr 160mm rear

Thoughts?

...idios...
    My only gripe with Hope is that when they brought the Mono series of brakes a few years back they all squealed like a squealing thing. And the power seemsed very on off.
    This is without doubt a set-up issue. No brake should squeal - except perhaps when there's water/condensation around - but the Monos should have a very nice firm feel, with a little bit of a buzz at the end of the power range. The fact that the brakes you experienced were on/off more or less confirms to me that there was poor set-up.

The Tech lever is a huge improvement on the Mini lever. Tool-free reach adjustement is one thing, but also being able to adjust the lever's bite point with the turn of a dial makes for a brake which can be easily changed on-the-fly to have different characteristics. Even the relatively low-powered X2 can be adjusted to have more bite at the start of the stroke.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinterous
    Just done some more homework.
    The Hayes are out of the question.
    Can you elaborate on how you came to that conclusion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    Can you elaborate on how you came to that conclusion?
    Well after reading what people were saying about the stroker style brakes in the lower threads of this forum It was obvious that they arn't that well regarded.

The K24's are good and are still an option. However I dont think I need the adjusted knob that they offer. Again reading more threads.

Avid Elixer are good however I dont plan to take the risk after what people are saying about them either. Quality piston problems and gobble gobble vibration issues.
    The Avid Juicy 5's were an option but now are fading to the background after reading alot of people really like the 775 XT etc.

Answer your question? Anything to add?

Peace & Love
    Simple, Hope or Formula #1, Shimano XT (775 version) a very close second so you have the right list. Granted its just my opinion but those have provided the best experiences for me.

Couple things...potential setup problems aside, its not a good idea to use a few years old technology (in many cases) as baseline for if we did, NOBODY in their right mind would use RockShox, which is now very good.

Another thing, while the price listed at aebike for the Hopes is ok, it does NOT appear to include rotors so add another $110 so to total price (still an ok price) via Aebike thus, $428 for the set

XT will be the cheapest (~$325 total), and they are great, with K18 ~$360 & Hope X2s ~$390

Not sure what priorities are but all are good at least

mtbr member
    Thanks FoShizzle for your feedback.

Looking at the description for those Hope X2's it looks as though they do include rotor. but reading down in the specs etc it doesn't mention rotors??

I have emailed them to find out anyways...

The XT 775 are winning at present. Simply on price and what people are saying about them. I havent heard a bad word about them. Apart from peole just not wanting to run Shimano stuff.

I'm also not entirely going on what people are saying. I've run alot of different brakes in the past 10yrs on mtbing. So I have a good idea. Just wanted some goodfeed back on my options.
    Adn good feedback is what i am getting thanks...

mtbr member
    Well after reading what people were saying about the stroker style brakes in the lower threads of this forum It was obvious that they arn't that well regarded.

Answer your question? Anything to add?

If you read all the posts you could find problems w/ every brake made.

I don't know if I'd necessarily avoid the newer Hayes brakes, especially with the deals you can get on them.

That said, of the choices you've narrow down to, I would lean towards the XT, for the simple fact that they use mineral oil.
    Admittedly, my only experience w/ them is a parking lot test on a friends bike and they had a nice feel.

Like others have posted, set-up has a lot to do with brake performance.

Peace & Love
    Thanks FoShizzle for your feedback.

Looking at the description for those Hope X2's it looks as though they do include rotor. but reading down in the specs etc it doesn't mention rotors??

I have emailed them to find out anyways...

The XT 775 are winning at present. Simply on price and what people are saying about them. I havent heard a bad word about them. Apart from peole just not wanting to run Shimano stuff.
    pretty sure no rotors...and shipping adds a few bucks as well from that site anyway

yeah, XTs are great. i used to be a bandwagon anti-shimano toolbag like many other but their new stuff (2009+) is great! I prefer Shimano drivetrains, etc...Loved the XT M775 brakes, love my XTR brakes, but also love my Formula Biancos and just bought another set of Formulas for new project. Have had great experience with Hopes and they win on the bling factor too if that matters

and yes, reformed roadie is right...ANYTHING will yield some bad reviews, period. I go by what shop owners I know recommend and use themselves - they see what works and what doesnt. MTBRetards are generally nothing more than whiny cut and pasting sheep so definitely be careful, and that includes my advice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    pretty sure no rotors...and shipping adds a few bucks as well from that site anyway

yeah, XTs are great. i used to be a bandwagon anti-shimano toolbag like many other but their new stuff (2009+) is great! I prefer Shimano drivetrains, etc...Loved the XT M775 brakes, love my XTR brakes, but also love my Formula Biancos and just bought another set of Formulas for new project. Have had great experience with Hopes and they win on the bling factor too if that matters

and yes, reformed roadie is right...ANYTHING will yield some bad reviews, period. I go by what shop owners I know recommend and use themselves - they see what works and what doesnt. MTBRetards are generally nothing more than whiny cut and pasting sheep so definitely be careful, and that includes my advice!

Yeah the whole bling factor thing really doesn't worry me. Aslong as they work a treat and are reliable.

The formula brakes I really like when I tested a mates bike. I just cant find a set at the right price...

Peace & Love
    The formula brakes I really like when I tested a mates bike. I just cant find a set at the right price...
    really??? e.g., the ~$360 is a great price IMHO. where are you located? what is the right price? boy, not sure if anything worth a crap is gonna be cheaper than that

mtbr member
    I'm in Australia Fo.

Where are you getting $360 from? What websites offer the Oro's at good prices.
    Are the Formula rotor's good and worth getting aswell?
    I have about 7 160-185 shimano rotors laying around. And prob 3 are salvagable.

Peace & Love
    I'm in Australia Fo.

Where are you getting $360 from? What websites offer the Oro's at good prices.
    Are the Formula rotor's good and worth getting aswell?
    I have about 7 160-185 shimano rotors laying around. And prob 3 are salvagable.
    Ahhh...AUS

I will PM you info.

Formula rotors are fine, sure...i am not technically savvy to know if slight differences in width matters on any of the brakes...not sure the 185mm will work though??? likely on the shimano setup as those are 183mm configured, right?

singletrack bound
    I have a set of Formula K-18's coming in the mail right now....
    323.00 complete with 180 Ft/ 160 R rotors
    universal cycles with a 15% coupon code (vip15)
    going on a 29er SS Jabberwocky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle

yeah, XTs are great. i used to be a bandwagon anti-shimano toolbag like many other but their new stuff (2009+) is great! I prefer Shimano drivetrains, etc...Loved the XT M775 brakes, love my XTR brakes...

...MTBRetards are generally nothing more than whiny cut and pasting sheep so definitely be careful, and that includes my advice!

FoShizzle - despite the warning, can you compare the XT to the XTR?
    I don't think many MTBRetards have any extended use with both...any feedback is appreciated.

General consensus is that the XT are stronger, with a little more weight.

More than anything, I am interested in the Servo-wave keeping pad rub from being an issue. Do both have that feature, or just XT?
    Thanks!

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    FoShizzle - despite the warning, can you compare the XT to the XTR?
    I don't think many MTBRetards have any extended use with both...any feedback is appreciated.

General consensus is that the XT are stronger, with a little more weight.

More than anything, I am interested in the Servo-wave keeping pad rub from being an issue. Do both have that feature, or just XT?
    Thanks!
    pretty sure only the XT has that feature.

I love both though if i had to speculate about which may be more powerful based on a non science based subjective opinion, i would agree that XT gets the nod.

The XTR are great but for me (i.e., i am not a weight weenie) but certainly not worth it over the XT, especially for a trailbike. My XTRs are working phenomenal, no sticky pistons as has been noted by others, and for my girly weight of 175 more than do the trick (160mm rear/180mm front) but still not as powerful as XT IMHO. I am using XTR on that bike simply because I had available an entire XTR group so I used them accordingly.

Members who have read this thread: 0